Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey everybody! 20mos post-op...and I'm pregnant! :)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone! Actually, I don't know how many of you around now were around when I had my surgery, so perhaps a bit of a background. I had a microdiscectomy/laminotomy/foramintomy on L5/S1 in August 2006 when a previously herniated disc more or less ripped apart while giving birth to my son. Following a cross-country flight in November 2007, the disc severely reherniated (surgeon said it was the tough outer lining of the disc) and kinked the sacral nerve root like a garden hose. The pain was 10x what it was the first time around. But, the repeat surgery in December 2007 gave me my life back.

After faithfully following my doctor and physical therapist's instructions, I finally felt confident to ask about getting pregnant with a second child. I had an MRI a year ago just as a baseline (still showed surgical changes in process of healing, and a bit of arthritis, but nothing scary), and my neurologist, neurosurgeon, and OB all gave me the go-ahead to get preggers again. I am currently 4 months preggo with our second, due--suitably enough--around the second anniversary of my back surgery.

The OB had originally said I could deliver naturally, but then after hearing a little more of my history and that my back got worse during birth, thinks a c-section may be a better option (he's not insisting). I'm afraid of a c-section--I don't want to be put under, but I also do NOT want a spinal injection that paralyzes me from the chest down, yeeeeeeep!--but I also fear the birth process undoing my back's healing. We'll figure it out in a few months.

I've already started a new round of PT doing exercises to keep my back and core muscles strong as my body changes with pregnancy. I've been a bit sore in my back, but it feels more like the soreness that comes with things loosening and shifting. Nerve pain is gone, and has been since I woke up in the recovery room. :) I do get some painless twitches and tingles in the left leg if I'm not mindful and, say, sit for too long a period of time. (Oops.)

I'm excited, and wanted to share my past success as well as my current situation. :)
advertisement

Comments

• That is great! And this is toooo weird.... I pop off and on, and the other day, no kidding, I was thinking about you. Too weird!!!

There are a few members on here that I remember, and you are one of them. We had the same surgery, although unfortunatley I am still in a bad situation.

I am so happy for you! Be careful, take it easy, and don't do too much.

I had a c-section with my first pregnancy, and really it wasn't too bad. The recovery is tough, but it depends on the person. I was not put to sleep, I had a spinal, and got sensation back quickly.

Congratulations again! So awesome! :)

Caity
  • hi...thats wonderful so happy for you. the C sounds like safest route. you need to be in top shape after delivery. why risk back trouble again? best of luck....pete