Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hm_griffithhhm_griffith Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello my name is Hollie. I am 32 yrs old. In March of 2007 my family was involved in an automobile accident in which I was ejected from the vehicle. I fractured my back at T-8 and also broke off the spinal processed at several other levels. After weeks in the hospital and rehab unit my doctor was hoping that it would fuse back on it own. Which didn't happen. I had my first surgery in August 2007. They removed T-8 replace it with synthetic vertebrae and fused from T-5 to T-10 with rods and screws. Exactly 6 months to the day of my surgery they went back in and removed hardware, afterwards with x-ray and MRI they realized that it had not fused. So we have just been watching it and it appears that it has fused.

Now to current issue: I have severe DDD in my lower back. The vertebrae themselves are falling apart. I also have 3 severly bulging/herniated disc. My surgeon thinks that the best thing to do is to take out the 2 vertebrae and replace with synthetic and use the Dynesis system instead of doing a solid fusion. I have tried to look at all of the information that I can find, which there is not very much of. He says the pros to the flexible fusion would be that I can keep range of motion(btw, I have 2 little boys that are 10 & 7) So my questions are many, but mostly would like to hear from people who have had this done, good or bad, to help me make this decision. Also my NS has let me know that he has never used this instumentation but that he is really excited to try it. I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my post. And look forward to hearing your experiences and advice. :)