Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wish me luck...

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In about six hours, I'm going to get my first ESI and Facet Joint Injections for problems with my L4/5 facet joints and diffuse bulge disc.

I get up every morning with severe sciatica and lower back pain which may or may not last all day and night, and this is the first treatment for these problems.

So, wish me luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these will work.

Have a good Thursday and I'll see you tomorrow.

• You will do well and things will work out for you! Just remember that sometimes we have to suffer a bit of an increase in pain, to get longer lasting relief in the end.

Let us know how it goes once you are able.

• you have my best wishes....heres to some pain free days....
  • I'll be thinking of you and wisheing you the best of luck. I hope you get some much needed relief that lasts. You've had a tough time, you really do deserve a break! Take care of yourself!

• Good luck with your ESI.
  • You're a trooper to have an ESI and facet injections at same time. Just remember to stay calm and be as relaxed as possible during the injections. It is kind of cool to be able to see on the monitor (if it is positioned so you can see) while they are doing the injections. I was amazed at how careful the doctor is when doing the injections. They move the needle a fraction of an inch, take a pic, move, take a pic, move it... you get the idea. Once positioned they are then ready to insert the good stuff that will give you much needed relief.

You'll do great through the procedures. and hopefully after the initial discomfort from the injections wears off, you'll feel better than you have for a long time. I'll be thinking of you!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Cathie, my first ESI lasted 8 months and worked pretty good! I hope you get some good relief from yours!
  • Fingers crossed here!

Best wishes,

• Fingers crossed here!

Best wishes,

• Fingers crossed here!

Best wishes,

• Thanks for all the good wishes and thoughts. You guys are the best.

I went in and was pretty nervous, but the nurses and doc were great. At one point when I was laying there waiting for my turn, the curtain was open and they wheeled this young lady in right across from me and she was bawling her eyes out in pain. As all the nurses were around her getting pain meds into her, my nurse, Casse, rushed over to me and said, "Please, don't worry. You won't come out like that. She had a procedure and this was the expected result, but yours won't be anything like what she's going through." She seemed genuinely concerned and comforted me multiple times. Even though I was pretty sure I wouldn't have her pain and not too concerned, that was nice. Turned out, the poor gal had a discogram.

Paul, you're right - it does seem like magic. The lack of pain I'm experiencing is new to me. I have a little ache in my lower back, but for the first time in six months, I woke up without sciatica. I got out of bed limping on my left leg like I always have, and realized that there wasn't any need to. It was such a strange and wonderful feeling. The look on my hubby's face this morning was priceless.

Cindy, I couldn't see the monitor, but afterwards, they brought in the pictures and explained each one. The entire procedure took about 10-15 minutes and I got one shot of something in the valium family, but it was relatively pain-free. The most pain was when I had to roll over onto my bed afterwards - the pain in the back of my legs was horrendous, but went away sometime overnight.

Today I'm feeling very, very tired. I think part of it is the stress from yesterday, but I also think that being in pain every day is such hard work that when it suddenly goes away you're finally able to relax to the point of exhaustion.

I'm keeping a pain diary for the next two weeks and I'm hoping that my relief lasts as long as some of yours has.

Thanks again my friends. Here's to pain-free moments, when we are lucky enough to have them.
  • I hope you are taking it very easy today, tomorrow and Sunday. If at all possible, stay on the couch or in bed and do not do much of anything.

Most doctors will tell you that it is OK to resume your normal activities, but you will have optimal results if you take it easy. The more you move around, the more blood pumps through the tissues and the more the medicine dissipates throughout the body rather than staying right where it needs to be and will do the most good.

After three days, the medicine will mostly be absorbed so at that point, it is OK to resume normal activities.
  • Thank you for your post. The paper they gave me said I could resume normal activities after two days. I'll make it three. I'd love for things to stay the way they are. I took my dog for a 30-minute walk this morning, but I've been vegging since then.

I'm also starting to wean myself off of the hydrocodone and flexiril. I'm taking that slow, but I wasn't taking too many so it shouldn't be too difficult or take too long.

• I am so glad to hear that have gotten much needed relief from the injections! That is great news!
    I have had 5 caudal and 3 cervical injections with varying results. I will say that as usual Gwennie is right on the mark with her advice! I completely agree that THREE days of rest is just as important as the patience and skills of the doctor.
  • I am so glad this has worked for you. I can try to picture that priceless picture of a hubbys' look you recieved. How wonderful to have been the recipient. Keep being pain free. May it be gone, never to return again. Good Luck
    Best Wishes,BTDT
  • Hi Cath -
    you were such a great reassuring voice for me before I had my surgery! I hope you are doing well!

- Margaret
  • How are you doing today? Hope you are having relief from the pain.

Best wishes to you,

• Hiya Cathie, glad to see you made it through and you're getting relief! Kinda amazing how instant that relief is, huh? :)

I hope it lasts a good amount of time!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    Cath, now that was a post fulled with good news...
    I like hearing those.
    As you can tell now, the ESI procedure is pretty straight forward and now the outcome. Its sounding pretty good for you. There are so many people that ESI's are exactly what they need to get them
    'over the hump'.
    I hope and pray that this good fortune you are now experiencing stays for a long long long time.
    Wow, having relief for pain! Isnt that nice!!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Well, the relief from he facet joint injections was short-lived. My lower back pain is back and as bad as before.

The good news is that I'm still not having any sciatica, so the ESI is working so far.

I'm still keeping a pain journal and we'll see what happens over the next 1-1/2 weeks.

I've heard that many people have relief for a good amount of time after an ESI, but is it pretty common that the facet injections don't?

• Darn, sorry to hear the pain is back. I hope the sciatica doesn't return!

You are smart to keep the pain journal. I often wish I had found this site and that suggestion in 2005 because I think it would have been helpful for the dr to treat me better at times plus a great resource for me to look back and remember exactly when, what I did or didn't do, etc. ( my memory gets jumbled sometimes, I don't know why! LOL!) because I didn't write as much down on calendars/notes as I should have!

Keep in touch with your Dr. Are you going to try a 2nd shot? I have been thinking of you and hope you have enough relief to do some things you want to do!