Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lordosis is flat ??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
finally got copy of my mri result after 9 weeks , bit confused says my lordosis is flat ??, tried looking up on good old internet but unalble to find anything ,
my mri scan shows i have minor bulgling in c5/6 and 6/7 also m oderat degenerative changes in the facet joint also minor degenerative changes in c3/4 4/5 c7T1 also said tiny thecal sac indentations on c5/6 6/7
finally started physio this week and back to work on saturday so big week for me , gradually reducing my pain relief
my own gp says this cannot be causing my symptoms and is very ;little help where my osteopath and now the physio is saying thats the cause , very confused by it all
any advice grateful xx

• i'm no doc but the natural curve most people have in the neck is the lordosis. i guess your neck doesnt have the curve. you may want to see a spinal surgeon either orthopedic or neuro to get a real professional opinion on your neck....
  • thanks that what i was kind of thinking , only things i could find on lordosis was about curvature etc , no one has mentioned to me about this lordosis flat , i do vaguely remember when i was in hospital 8 weeks ago i had neck x-ray and overheard the radioloist say to the student that the x-ray was straight and not good but then as no one else mentioned it i guessed it may be someone else or a term they use for the image, might mention it to physio next week when i go
  • hi sharon, welcome to spine health >:D< I hope you find this site helpful and friendly :D you are not alone in your pain we are here for you >:D< Lordosis is otherwise known as "swayback" and its an inward curviture of the spine which makes the buttocks stick out /:) , which is a way of diagnosing moderate to severe back pain :? I hope this helps you :D

Angie >:D< :H
  • Sounds like the "lordosis is flat" comment is referring to a similar thing. I've been told by a few different physios that my unusually flat thoracic spine could be contributing to problems in my cervical spine, because without the natural curve in my upper back, more pressure is put on the neck region. So while this flatness/straightness hasn't directly caused any of my symptoms, it may have contributed to degeneration in my neck, and contributes to how much pressure is placed on my injured neck.
  • I did some internet looking up to see if I could find anything on "flat back". The normal spine has a curve in it, flat back refers to the straigtening of the curve. From what I read it can be the cause of pain. Here is one of the links I found, hope it helps you.

• to your spine,in your neck it should be like a C shape. If the x-rays show its flat then you've lost the shape to your spine there.Tight muscles can also cause your spine to move.My husband had his spine move to the right and was in therapy for a while for it and they said it was because the muscles on his right side were so tight that it was pulling on his spine. Also when i had my three herniated discs in my neck my spine had lost its curve.If they can get your neck to relax you may get the shape back.Hopefully therapy will help you.Doc. seem to think that in order to have pain your x-rays and mri's need to look very bad. i don't think that it true.