Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Husbands Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions

About two years ago, my husband had a three level disk fusion. He is still in constant pain. He was determined to go back to his job as a traffic light technician. This involves pulling wire under streets, digging, and other things he should not be doing. The doctor just put him back on TTD for three months. If he is still in pain, he wants to take the metal out of his back.

I wish he had never had the surgery, but there is no going back. I see him getting more and more depressed. I don't know how to help him. Do you think it is wise to take out the metal??

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.it is wonderful you are standing by your husband in this painful time. :X it can be very difficult for many of us to accept the loss of our career because of back pain. i do know metal has been taken out before but to what end i do not know. i hope someone will drop by will some info for you.. be sure and check through the other forums. good luck and i wish you husband all the best. =D> you are a terrific companion!! listening to him and just being there is the best you can do. and believe me that is alot!! <:P we need that!!!!! :D take care! Jenny :)
  • Melissa,
    It is always difficult what to say or do in this situation and for the most part it is what the doctor would recommend and go with his advice he has all the evidence and you need to move from a known situation.

Many have the understandable expectation that all is going to go well and change like this is difficult to accept within this time scale when you expectation does not meet the reality. At best he would want the pain to stop or at least be reduced, the employment aspect which can be an issues in these situation are always an issue and one step at at time is best, if the doctor said three months than you have to use that time to the best which is never easy thinking what the worse may be and living in pain all the time. I lost my job and did not works for many tears and have three young children at the time I have had my failed fusion many years and it is never easy.

How are you it is not easy seeing your loved one suffer and any happening and because of the pain itself and the loss of sleep identity and future, the key is to stay positive which is harder than it sounds and bets for the future and whatever happens. It is hard for you to do or say the right thing and nothing or no words of comfort are adequate at times, I had my angry phased and only acknowledged this to myself over time, it is understandable that you feel hopeless in not being able to help but you gifts will shine through and health issues of this type and gravity need supportive and encouraging environments.

The difficulty with looking backwards is that it can make that decision into the wrong choice and that is not with hindsight as it was the correct option at that time to move forward the second one will be equally difficult and having made what you think is the right one for you, it is a leap of faith and hope.

Anything other than that is just expectation and who would not want to get better we have that attitude for a reason and it helps us along, we have to be positive even when thing go wrong to some extent. From a patients point of view I thank you for you continued effort and consideration and sometimes wondered what I would say and do in the hope of supporting another and you are doing a good job and this issue impacts on you also so take care you. Stay positive and gets all the facts and information possible ask the surgeon what he would recommend and go one step at a time look forward and take care, many at SH are where you are and beyond and although it may not be the future we had planned or envisaged we know the importance of seeking help when required.

Take care John
  • Hi Melissa,
    A 3 level fusion is huge operation to go through.I know I had fairly high expectations after both a 2 level and then single level.My expectations were too high,and it is depressing when you start to come to terms with the fact that you may not be able to do some of the things you did before.And that the pain may be a constant in your life.For your husband,I'm sure that's compounded by his surgeon telling him there's a piece of hardware that's loose! Youch....
    Having the loose metal removed could help him I would think,it sounds like his surgeon is trying to avoid further surgery if he can.I too am in constant pain and if my Dr said more surgery would help I would go for it.(I used to say ,surgery ,no way)
    I hope you both find some relief,it's not fun huh?
    Take care Sagehen