Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new here... ouch

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new here and am looking for advice and support...

I am a 26 year old female who tore L5-S1 at work 5 years ago.

Had MRI, CT, PT, epidurals, trigger point injection, pain meds and then finally a SUCCESSFUL I-DET. Had relief for 3 years!

Re-injured L5-S1 again at work this past December. New films show DDD and another tear...

Had MRI, CT, PT, epidurals, SI joint injection, pain meds...

All being handled by worker's comp which means a real pain in the butt...LITERALLY!!

Have been referred to spine surgeon who suggests fusion.

Had second opinion, that surgeon agreed with surgery but said I could choose between fusion and replacement...

Scared, confused, in pain, and feeling pressured to make a decision... All i know is that i cannot live with this pain anymore...

ANY SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, ANYTHING... is greatly appreciated!

• its natural to be scared. it's your body thats going through this stuff. and i remember when i had health problems at 26. the younger you are the more it hurts. katie i cant change anything for you. youre the one feeling the pain.
    but for the pressure you may be feeling from the insurance co. can be controled ...youre in the drivers seat. dont let them pressure you. get lawyer if need be and fight for every right you have.
    i like the idea of replacement. especially for a younger person. just make sure your surgeon is experienced in that procedure.
    take deep breath and try to envision a good outcome...
  • thank you pete for your support... replacement is an option but my first surgeon seemed to be very sure about NOT doing replacement. the second opinion dr wouldn't give me an opinion on which one was a better choice but that he does both.

i am worried because there isnt much known about replacements. if it like knee and hip replacement, there could be time when the replacement needs to be replaced...

do you know anything about suppliments or vitamins that i should take to help with healing after the surgery? or anything i should NOT take or do before hand?
  • for vit.D. my dr said i was low on it. since taking D i have noticed no infections anywhere on or in my body. and the last surgery i had i got spine infection...so yes i love D.
    i've read some studies on disk replacements in eeurope that claim a little better result than fusion. the experience in europe is extensive.....
  • I, too, have a Vitamin D deficiency. Currently, I am on a Rx Vitamin D. If you buy the product over the counter be sure to get Vitamin D3. Before the Rx I bought D1, and learned that it was the wrong one.

• Katiebear12,
    I’ve been in the same situation. Several of the “best neurosurgeons” and one orthopedic surgeon also “the beast” in the Philadelphia area have advised me against the artificial disk. Their reasoning is just as you say, there is not enough clinical information about the longevity of the disk and there is a probability of a repeat surgery is high in someone young. If it is anything like a knee or hip replacement the best ones need to be replaced after an average of 10-15 years.
    Good luck.