Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help with physical therapy

payoppayo Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody
My doctor just send me to start physical therapy
but the place he send me they aren't helping me , so i stoped going ,and i am wating for him to send me to a different place.can any body tell me what kind of exercise i should be doing or any place were i can find any information.I had a fusion surgery L4 L5 S1
I am still in a lot pain.need help dr told me that the therapy will help with the pain.but i wanna make sure i am doing the right exercises .thank you

• unless we know a lot more details of your condition, none of us is qualified to tell you what kind of exercises to do. I had a three-level fusion, L3/4-L5/S1. I basically do core stabilization and strengthening exercises (Pilates, exercise ball) and have learned a lot of ways to move without too much bending, lifting, twisting. Other than that, you probably shouldn't be doing anything too strenuous. I've heard a lot of folks say that working out in the water is great.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • hi,
    It has been impossible for me to find the right help to help me recover from 4 back, 2 leg and 1 knee surgery. My surgeon want me in the water and thankfully this town has one PT place with a tiny pool with a treadmill in that I can walk on. But I have gone through the therapists there and they just teach me about all the machines and what poundage I should use and then they leave. I never knew if I was doing anything right. I would up the weight level and didn't know if that was right. They never cared.
    So now with my legs involved I need someone who can teach me how to walk correctly since I haven't had feeling or function in the one, until after these last two surgeries, for the last almost 3 years. It is all miraculous and I want a therapist who cares but I have no idea how to find them in this small town. I am wondering if any do exist?
  • Hi Julie
    I am so sorry that you haven't get the help that you need
    how long have you ve been in therapy . in my case i just started last week but the therapist,just told me to lift some weights and do the bike i went two times and he is never there.so i stop going and ask my doctor for a new place.plus my place and you place are the same in my place there is one bike one weight machine and a broken tredmill for five people,I live in a big city so i hope i can find a better place.some therapiest just want the money from the insurance companys but they don't care about us.i have the feeling that i am going to get the same service that you are getting,is nice to talk to people that are going thru the same problem.tell me if you had any relif since you started physical therapy
  • Thank you for you answer
    well let me tell that i ve had two back surgery one in 10/2007 and 1/2009, six months ago both suregerys were fusion of l4 l5 s1 the first surgery didn't fuse.i have two metal roads and screws lots of pain in my lower back and both legs
  • My surgeon recommended Lynda Huey PT to me.
    Google her.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Boy, thats a little scary to me having your surgeon send you to a PT place like you have described. I spent 9 months in PT after my fusion surgery and it was time well spent. You need to go to a place that is knowledgible about fusion surgery. For the first 4 months, I wore my turtle shell brace and my therapy was geared towards that. Once the brace was off, they built up my core muscles. Like the other responers to your post, I'm not going to give you exercises to do, thats for a qualified physical therapist. My last comment is, if your therapist is causing you pain, not muscle soreness I mean back pain, they are doing you no good.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • You might try calling the orthopedic floor in the hospital or even the PT department of the hospital and ask who in town is knowledgeable about orthopedic spine cases.

I can say from personal experience that who you go to makes a huge difference. I had four courses of PT with one group and then after my fusion, I went to a place that only takes scoliosis and spinal surgery patients. While I did some of the same exercises, the difference was amazing. It was the difference between being told to move your whole arm or to wiggle your third finger...the PT was SO specific and taught me how to strengthen individual muscles...rather than the generic "do a pelvic tilt."

You need to find someone skilled in ortho cases -- otherwise you might as well do the standard back exercises out of a book or DVD.
  • Thank you for all the help
    now i know what to expect from therapy and i hope to get a profesional therapiest. I am doing my homework searching the tips that you people gave me
    is so cool to have people like you supporting each others ,for all of you who are helping me thanks a millon. Can anybody tell me if after getting therapy
    started feeling better ,i would like to know if the pain got better and if got more flexibility