Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds

JeffAJJeffA Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I had a 2 level laminectomy Wednesday. The pain isn't too bad except when I get up from a chair or out of bed.

The doctor prescribed Vicodin. I really don't like it. Hard to describe but it gives me a 'weird' feeling. It also makes it hard for me to sleep.

I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and try to get something else. Can someone recommend a pain med that's worked well for you?

Sorry if this message is a bit disjointed. I've only slept 1-2 hours since surgery.

• im not sure what the equilevant of vicodin is here in ireland as we cannot get vicodin here, i found zydol very effective although it made me feel a bit out of it, any codeine based pain killers are also very harsh on the body. it is hard to recommend something as they all come with side affects, best thing is to speak to you surgeon and explain how the vicodin is affecting you and they can prescribe a different type of pain killer that might be a little less harsh on you.
  • Let the doc prescribe what he/she feels is best. If you go in asking for something other than Vicodin that is narcotic, you'll wind up with something ineffective since the doc may think you are looking for something stronger. Just be honest and let the doc come up with a proposal.

• Thanks for the replies. The interesting thing is that my pain levels have dropped off a LOT in the last 12 hours. Probably won't need prescription meds for long.

• Have you tried something over the counter? If your pain levels aren't super bad you might get plenty of relief from Advil or Motrin (ibuprofen). I'm not a doc so I'm not telling you what to do. Just saying what worked for me when I had a laminectomy. Check with your doc. Good luck on your recovery! :-)
  • Maybe you can cut the tablet in half to lessen the weird feelings, esp now that you don't need it so often. What dosage are you on? Keep in mind that if you do break it in half that you will not get the full pain relieving benefit.
  • I think I'm ready to cut down/out the prescription meds. I'm amazed at how (relatively) painless this operation has been. I guess I was expecting a lot worse.

One of the most painful parts of the whole procedure was the removal of the cath. It still hurts. Is this normal after two days?

One other question. Did anyone else have a temperature the day after surgery? Mine went up to 101 last night, then dropped back to normal today.

• I had a cervical laminectomy in June and my pain level was high. I am taking naproxen (anti inflams) and Norco 10 mg. narcodics make me hyper and I don't sleep well either on them. My pcp had me on oxycodone 5mg/325 before surgery and I slept better. a temp after surgery should be reported to your doctor. That means a infection.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I was off pain meds and only using OTC tylenol and a muscle relaxer at 7 days post op from a complete double laminectomy. In my opinion, if the surgeon is good and you are a generally fit individual, healing from this type of surgery is fairly easy. Just use your head and don't over do things and you should be fine. I was walking up to 7 miles a day by the end of week 2. Was starting to have some pain and doc said "duh ... drop the mileage back a bit".