Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG results/Break through pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi, my name is Colleen. I have progressive DDD/Spondylosis of the L4/5/and S1. I have disc dehydration,loss of height,foraminal stenosis,pressure and flattening of the thecal sac,end plate changes throughout. I had an MRI as recent as 2 months ago, and an EMG last week. When he did the EMG he only looked at the right side. I have sciatica pain bilaterly, but he checked the foot,leg,and the lumbar spine itself. He found a week signal in the sciatic in the right thigh, but all the other readings were in his opinion normal. The "toothache" type pain will travel strongly to the knees, and periodically to the feet. Is it normal to have normal results from and EMG with this condition? And can anyone give advice on how to deal with the almost unbarable pain when break through happens? Thank you! I like to keep a positive attitude, and diversion tactics to help. Sometimes that's not enough though.

• I have read that an EMG is only as good as the person interpreting it. Did he say why he only tested the right side?

It is possible to have sciatic pain without having nerve damage. For example, the nerve could be irritated from a chemical that is given off when there is a rupture in a disc. It could also be irritated from inflamed tissue pressing on it. These conditions would not show up on an EMG.

Do you get pain relief when you change position...like lie down?