Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I had a fusion at L5/S1 and now knots, and leg issues`

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Pain Management

I'm new to the board so hello. I had a question and think I got the run around from an Immediate Care doctor. I had back surgery, fusion of L5/S1 a year ago. Since the surgery I haven't felt much if any better. My back still aches constantly but my surgeon looks at the MRI's and says the thing was a success. In the past couple days I began getting a burning sensation almost like a deep sunburn in my right quad. The pain's not unbearable, but still hurts. I have also developed what feels like little balls all around the area the plate was put in. Tonight I went to an Immediate Care facility and the guy told me basically, he wouldn't diagnose or really mess with my back because of lack of films, reports, whatever. I asked him before I took off to feel these ball like things in my lower back and he said they were swollen lymph-nodes. I got home and looked, and there's no lymph nodes in your lower back. These balls hurt and feel like knots, every time my back really hurts hey bulge up. A few months ago I mentioned to my surgeon their presence and he wrote them off, but he was really impressed with the CT and MRI results, basically said you're cured, or really theirs nothing more I can do. What are these balls, should I worry, and I never had leg pain pre surgery, what's going on, any advice.

• I can't reall address the knots around your plate other than to ask if they're trigger points. But, I can share in your "sunburn". I developed the same feeling one month post surgery, only mine was in my upper back. You described the pain exactly like I did, "sunburn". My OS said that I have to give the nerves time to settle down. But, my Neurologist believes that it's caused by the mild stenosis that I have. Do you also have stenosis? My pain medicine didn't help, and I even got Lydocaine patches. That was awful. It felt like a burn on top of a burn. I decided that if it was going to feel like a sunburn, I'd treat it like one. The only relief I've gotten has been with Solarcaine. I hope this helps.

• its great to hear your surgeon say everything is fine. in your mind things arent fine. i dont know whats wrong so my only advice is to get another opinion from a different surgeon. your old surgeon isn't solving your new problems..
    keep an eye on those bulges...makes you wonder if the screws are close to surface or theres infection underneath. best an expert examines it soon for another opinion...hope its nothing serious....pete
  • Been in alot of pain lately and the bumps from on all mt incisions are PAINFULL...my doc put me on antibiotic b/c he felt infection may be the problem...blood work came back fine,but-he still put me on antibiotic b/c he was just certain i had infection set in b/c the lumps are so large and sensitive!!!!
    I call doc this week to get with him to see what else can be done!!! Can not lean back on the bumps nor lay on them....they are that SORE!!!
    I just thought I was the lone ranger on this type of problem but man....OUCH!!! They hurt!!!
    If you find an answer before I do---let me know!!! God Bless and GOOD LUCK!!
  • was that from scs insertion surgery?
  • How deep do the knots seem? Are they on the skin surface or deep muscle?

My back gets knotted up pretty bad, but that is where my muscles get peeved at me for something...typically twisting, bending over too far or playing golf. They stick around until the muscle calms down. My PM can push right where I'm hurting and feel the lumps. But, they do go away and re-appear when I aggrevate the area.

If they are on the surface, are you allowing sunlight on that particular area (laying out in the sun)? If so, it could be that you are getting a mild case of sun poisioning around your incision. Just a shot in the dark on that one. I've had sun poisioning before and it isn't fun!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I get them in my back and in my legs. My PT said they are Trigger Points, and when she works on them, they go away, then come back when I over do things. Not sure about the ones on your incision, but I did have some on mine, and they taught my husband how to massage my scar, and now it is flat, and feels really good. Trigger points really hurt, and hurt when pressed on. But, only your Dr. can tell you for sure! sweetpotatoe57