Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micordisc done on Aug 3

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. After going inbetween 3 doctors for 10 months my body finally decided it had had enough wasting time. I had to go into the ER on Sunday the 2nd because I couldnt walk and was in so much pain. A MRI showed my slight bulging L4-5 disc was now huge and made a tongue formation outside my spine. Had surgery the next day.

I was wrongly put on high doses of narcotics for the past year and thanks to that, not only am I going to have to go through withdrawl, but I cant control the pain so the suffering continues.

What I was wondering if anyone out there that has had a microdisc experienced an inability to walk without aids after the fact. They told me being unable to support my body with my right leg would only last a few days at most. I still have to use crutches and it doesnt seem to be getting better. The numbness and tingling I was expecting but not this. The surgeon said he really had to tug on my nerve to get the large protrusion out. Thats probably it but I was just wondering. And also, this is 5 days post op and after around 4 hours from taking the muscle relaxants my right leg starts freaking out all by itself. It makes me start to panic. I cant tell if the panicing is because they are making me deal with the withdrawls from pain med or what but is anyone else having or have had that happen? I dont know if I can get through the pain, surgery and withdrawl at the same time.
advertisement

Comments

• I had a little trouble ambulating immediately after my L4-L5 md, but it resloved the same night.

I hope you get better soon.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I had my Micro D done on Aug. 4, and walked gingerly to the restroom right after waking but they were VERY liberal with the drugs (2 Percoset every few hours and an IV shot of Dilaudid every hr and a half). I thought I was home free...walked up and down the halls of the hospital several times.....got home and walked around the block, went out to eat....then woke up the next day in excruciating pain. Did I do more damage being able to walk that well after surgery?? Who knows. Now I am pretty much bed-ridden. Perhaps you are better off in the sense that you have to listen to your body and therefore won't do any more damage. I can't imagine the pain you are going thru, and hope that resolves quickly.
    Seems to me that there should be an answer to all this suffering we are doing (besides drugs).
  • Try not to add worrying to all the other stress you are under at the moment. I know every moment seems like an eternity when you are in pain, but five days post-op is nothing in the whole scheme of healing.

If your surgeon admitted he had to tug on your nerve, you can bet that in reality he had to do much more than that. Nerves do not take kindly to any sort of affront, let alone being tugged, so to use my surgeon's best medical jargon, "you have one seriously pissed off nerve" and it may take a LONG while to get over the assault.

Don't give up on the walking though. Even if you need something to support your weight, try to take short walks several times each day. It is very important as walking helps a fresh supply of blood to reach the spine, it helps to prevent the formation of scar tissue, and stretches out the spinal nerves.

Each time you walk, be sure to ice your lower lumbar area, no more than 20 minutes at a time. If possible, try to follow an anti-inflammatory diet, high in vegetables and fruits and avoiding anything with sugar, white flour, etc...the starchy sweets. Drink LOTS of fluids. You probably have alot of inflammation inside your body from the surgery so it is important to do what you can to assist your body in getting rid of this.

Please post often with your questions and concerns. We have all been through something similar and are here to offer support and share our experiences with you.

xx Gwennie
  • Thanks for your replies everyone.

And yes, there should be something out there for us, I agree.

The pain is coming back in my hip and leg. I am worried they will take me back in for a fusion. He said it was a good possibility because he had to take so much out. I really dont want to start from scratch again, but hearing what some of you have gone through I feel like a wimp lol.

What gets everyone through the day knowing there is pretty much pain from now on? My surgeon said I will always have pain and I am sure it is true for all of you too.

Is anyone on extended relief pain meds like Morphine or Opana? I am and have been on Opana for a year and I just dont know what to do about it. Stay on? Get off? I was originally on it for arthritis but since they arent sure what was the true source of the pain they want me to get off it. Withdrawl isnt fun. But then neither is pain as you all know.

Thanks for listening to me. I wish everyone around me understood like you all. I'm so thankful for you all for being there.
advertisement