Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling soory for me

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am feeling sorry for me, not sure exactly how or when, but after I got in the car for a short l0 min ride and the time I got out of the car my middle back went into a spasm. It's horrible, can't move without skreeching. My arms and legs are not involved, it is limited to my middle back, almost on line with my waist. I am icing and feeling quite miserable. My husband is out in the backyard swimming, I hear the music, and my daughter is having lunch with some friends, I am in bed, feel like crying. I had so many things I wanted to do. Have taken pain and muscle relaxers, but they aren't helping, can't sleep, just in to much pain.

I did go on amazon and ordered a bed/computer table, also ordered a new bathrobe and 2 nightgowns, a new wedge, and a small wedge for under my knees (have always used a pillow). But the real point is I don't want to be in bed, I want to be outside enjoying what is left of the summer.

It has been a horrible year for me, no matter how you look at it, I just want things things to go better. Last Oct my Dad fell, went into hospital and then rehab, Mom decided then he was "to much for her to take care of", so I found him an assisted living to move into near me, Mom thought it was better for him to move near me, she lives 1 hour from me. Dad moved in Dec. In Jan he got sick, was in hospital 21 days and then rehab, and then back to assisted living. April 1 mom fell, needed a new knee, then she was in rehab for 6 weeks. While she in rehab, mom in law passed out, needed a pacemaker with defib, she went into rehab, actually got my Mom's bed, and then I had to help my mom who lives 1 hours away. I told her her suitcase was heavy for me, and that drving an hour was a lot for me, told her I didn't feel well. She put me on a guilt trip saying I could always help my Dad but that she was always to much for me. I helped her, reaching and re organizing her things to make things better for her. My arm hurt and felt weak, and that is what made me go to my own doctor and then the neurologist. The first neurosurgeon I saw was in June, he wanted to do the surgery in 2 weeks, said not to wait till end of summer. Wanted another consult, when Dad got sick again, he was septic. In hospital for 24 days, he was in ICU for days, he was non responsoive at one point, doctor said he wasn't going to make it, he was in acute renal failure. Put off surgeons apt for me. Dad woke up and got well enough to go to rehab. On Mon he is going back in to hospital for some minor surgery he was to weak to have 2 weeks ago, and then back to rehab and then hopefully back to assisted living. In between this I am having my surgery....I think you may understand better why I am depressed and feeling as though nothing goes right. I want to be outside enjoying the nice weather, but realize that isnot going to happen.

Thanks for listening....

• boy there has certainly been a lot of trouble lately. now its time to take care of you. i hope your surgery is soon so you can recover and get back to a normal life. what kind of surgery are you getting. where in your spine will the surgery be.
    we here are sorry you are in pain. most of us here are also suffering so you have people here who understand.
    i look forward to chatting more with you as i'm in so much pain myself chatting away helps me through the day
    best to you....pete
  • Am having a cervical fusion on Aug 24 C5-6. Just feeling real sorry for myself. Pete, thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope life gets better after surgery, am afraid to say things can't get worse, said it once and things did get worse.

• all of the things you are going through. I hope your family members get better so that stress won't be so bad. I pray that your surgery will help you feel better. It is not fun lying in bed when your family goes on with their lives. I understand how you feel. Hang in there
  • hi...pete here again...cervical fusion on the 24th....if only time would speed up so you can get it over with.
    i had a fusion of my lower cervical and upper thoracic although my pain was worst in the arms...i'll tell you it was terrible so i know how you feel. i'm glad youre using the ice ....i found ice helped a lot in fact when the pills didnt work the ice did....
    can you sit up at all or do you have to stay in bed?

wbs ... pete
  • You have really been having a tough time. I relate to where you see loved ones living life, yet you are restricted.I don't have any magic answers but do you like music?-have started to listen while practising my relaxation/meditation and it doesn't get rid of pain it helps to distract my mind. Here's hoping the 24th gets here soon. Big gentle hugs and please be kind to yourself - hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    First of all ... you may want to get worked up for the LBP (low back pain) it maybe something extremely treatable such as a UTI (urinary tract infection) or kidney infection. It could also be a nephrolithiasis or 2 (Kidney stone(s)). Any history? )Personal or family?

They (I don't know who they are) say that the five most dangerous words in the english language are "Maybe it will go away". There is little reason to be in pain for something that maybe easily and rapidly treatable. Seek medical attention soon, as it maybe completely unrelated to your cervical issues.

With all of the family issues and chronic pain due to your cervical condition - have any of your doctors suggested counseling and or anti-depressants? They are used for treating chronic pain also ... could maybe address two issues with one RX?

Aging family members are always an additional stressor as we get older ourselves - attempt to focus on the positive time and aspects of their involvement in you and your families lives. Consider it a blessing that they are still part of your life - even though there abilites are diminished compared to when they (and you) were younger.

I have learned that I can be in pain in bed ... or I can be in pain out in the world - As we all know, all to well, being in pain alone is the worst - maybe you can attempt to be in pain - at the poolside with your family.

There are and will continue to be significant challenges in the days ahead - pre-surgical and post-surgical and as life takes its envitable course.

Ask for assistance - heck demand assistance from the healthcare professionals - and those of your family that are in a position to provide strength - guidance and support.

The gang here on this forum and myself are resonably available to provide pithy sayings - and suggestions of music, ice, and massage.

G_d bless us - everyone!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• glad your a bit improved....have you joined husband at the pool?