Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg Pain related to Back Surgery (Spondylolisthesis)?

• Welcome to SH :H I am speechless about you having a spinal fusion so young. How did you manage the pain during that time? What type of surgery did they perform? I had a TLIF on L4-S1 and one of the reasons for it was that I also had retrolisthesis (inward slippage).

When last did you have an MRI? I'm not a doctor so I can't say if your symptoms are being caused by spondy. It could be, and it also can be caused by other reasons including nerve compression. With mine, I had severe lower back pain. I also had a recurrent disc herniation after a microdiscectomy and it was impinging the nerve again. I decided to have the fusion because I was sick and tired of all the back and leg pain.

Anyway, we're glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you. Take care :H
  • Do both your legs hurt? Do you have pain anywhere else?

I wouldn't necessarily assume it is due to your previous surgery. It might be more likely that you have developed a new problem, perhaps a disc or something degenerative.

The classic advice would be to give it six weeks, maybe try icing your lumbar area to see if that provides any relief, and then see your doctor if the pain persists beyond six weeks.
  • Thanks to both of you!

I honestly don't remember what exactly was done- I remember being told that they grafted a piece of my pelvis onto my spine. Long hospitalization with MUCH pain; body casts, etc.

As an adult, I have stenosis, arthritis, degenerative disc, etc. I also had neck surgery about 8 years ago.

All that being said, I do pretty well now, considering!

It is both of my legs, but more prominent in my left leg. It has been a while since I had an MRI. I imagine if the pain keeps up, I will go to my GP; I don't have a spine doc anymore. I am going to get back in the gym next week and see if that helps any, too. Thanks again- the hamstring/calf pain kind of weirded me out. :)
  • Going to my GP this morning- will update if there's anything to tell.
  • any news?? feeling any better?
  • I ended up having to see a PA- my doctor wasn't available. He was pretty awful. He kept mispronouncing Spondylolisthesis and told me there is so connection between calf pain and that particular disorder. /:) He said it must be something muscular and gave me a muscle relaxer. I will go back to my regular doc (who has a special interest in orthopedics) when I have some more time.

As an aside, I'm having my first back muscle spasm in over a year- sucks!

Thank you for checking in with me. :)