Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here, Having Trouble Again

BadBack25yearsBBadBack25years Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
I had my first round of back trouble starting in 1983. I had a herniation of L5-S1. I went through the physical therapy and medication route for about 6 months. The therapy helped, but it was very temporary. A fairly new procedure was being done at that time called Chemonucleolysis and my surgeon felt that I was a good candidate for that procedure and if it worked it would allow me to avoid back surgery. I had the procedure done in mid 1984 and the relief was immediate. I was able to go back to work in about 4 weeks and never missed a day of work due to back pain in over 22 years. The only symptoms of any back problem was the Achilles Reflex never came back, the calf muscle in my right leg would almost constantly move (like an alien was inside my leg) and every now and then my right knee would buckle, but I never fell down. The Dr said that these were symptoms of the nerve damage that was caused by the herniation and may or may not get better.

Well, it did not get better...in fact it got worse. About mid year of 2006, my right leg decided it was just not going to work right anymore and I developed a limp and noticed that I was actually walking on the outside of my right foot. My leg just kept feeling weaker and weaker and it finally got to the point where my employer said that I could not safely do my job any longer, since I had to do a lot of walking and climbing. Off to the Drs I went again and found the I still have the old herniation, have developed another herniation in L4-L5, DDD in L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1 along with canal stenosis at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Throw in some Arthritis and that pretty well sums it up.

The one strange thing is that all of this has occured with basically no pain. I had 2 steroid injections, but since these did not help, the Dr decided not to do the third. I have had 2 EMG's and both of these showed that I have developed Peripheral Neuropathy.

In the last few weeks I have started having more back pain, but I do not have that awful Sciatic pian that I had 25 years ago and a lot of you are living with now. One Dr explained this to me by saying the nerve is like an onion slice and the outer bands are the pain sensors and the inner bands control movement. Apparently, my pain sensors are about shot and not having the pain has probably caused me to cause more damage.

Right now, I have a continuous movement (like a tremor) of my right foot and the muscles in my right leg are always jumping around. Noone has told me that surgery will help my leg, but they are not sure either. I don't want this to get any worse, but I don't really cherish the thought of going through surgery either, especially if it is not going to help.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Sorry for being so long winded. Thanks.

• Welcome to SH :H I'm sorry your back problems crept up again. I can relate to what you're going through because I have nerve damage in my right leg and you're right about it having a life of its own. My thighs, calves, hamstrings quiver and twitch all the time. I also get awful muscle spasms all over my legs and lower back. Are you currently on any muscle relaxers or other meds? I take Cymbalta for nerve pain and things would be a whole lot worse if I didn't take it.

I think surgery would be in store if conservative measures fail in the treatment of your old and new herniations. You certainly don't want further neurological deficits. It's up to you and surgeon to decide if operating is the way to go.

Well, I hope things work out for you and please let us know how it goes. Take care O:)
  • Yeah, I am currently taking Neurontin and this has taken a lot of the leg tenderness away. I am also taking Primidone to try to control the tremor. I have a standing supply of Lortab if the back pain gets bad enough. I am just concerned that surgery breeds surgery.......

Are you still having the leg issues after surgery?
  • Oh yes and it's been over a year since my fusion. I was told the S1 nerve was already permanently damaged prior to surgery. My last surgeon said nothing can reverse the damage and the weakness in the leg. I do have nerve pain in the other leg and part of the problem is the scar tissue growing on the left S1 nerve. It causes me more back pain and sciatica.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. thanks for stopping by and keep us posted as you get some pain relief! :D good luck! =D> Jenny :)