Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

swallowing pills

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm trying to take vitamins to help my body heal but am not able to swallow the pills they get stuck in my throat. I'm 2 weeks post surgery for a 3 level Cervical fusion. I can swallow but it's not the same as before the surgery. No pain just things get stuck. Has anyone found a solution for this or had to deal with this?

• Sorry you're having trouble with the swallowing. I just had my surgery a couple weeks before you and have had to deal with the same thing.

Pre-surgery I took all my meds at the same time with one sip of water. Now I have to work at it. What works for me is to make sure the oblong pills are positioned straight in my mouth, and drinking quite a bit of water with each pill. Also, I have a friend who's a PT and she said that when you swallow pills, have your head straight, not tilted back, as the throat is more open that way.

Hope that helps!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    first contact your doctor and explain all of this. How long has it been, how difficult, etc.

After one of my ACDF's, I had problems swallowing some of the larger dryer pills. We would break them up (If they could be crushed or broken) and mixed with Ice Cream, Sour Cream, something else to swallow. Made it a lot easier, plus tastier
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Make sure you tell your doc in case something is mechanically wrong. That said, if it is a general multi-vitamin OK'd by your doc, ask if you can just take kids' chewable vitamins???

On other meds, of course never crush extended release meds, but if you have trouble swallowing tablets, crush them like Ron suggested. I like to take a dixie cup, put meds in it, put another dixie cup on top, then use the end of a hammer or other device in the top dixie cup to crush the pills without losing any of them.

Good luck.
  • Do you need your doctors okay to take vitamins? I thought they would help with the healing
  • Yes, you do as vitamins aren't governed by the FDA. You should always check with your doctor before taking these. They may also know what is the best label to use on the market and what would give you the most benefit as well. On the other hand they may have no opinion at all, but always check with your doctor.
  • Hi Lynn
    I've had two neck fusions and I still suffer with that problem (last surgery 10 years ago)and even get stuck taking them with water but I have finally found that if I take it with a cordial and water I manage to get them down. Hope that helps. If the pain has gone thats all that matters. Take care.