Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Set to have fusion on 17th of aug. after having pain for over 20 yrs. did all safe approach stuff. nothing seem's to help. so ther going to fuse s-1 l-5. doc says 3-6 months down time. seem reasonable. anybody else had this done. and did it turn out. starting to get a little nervous.

• My fusion was a bit different, I was told 12 months plus downtime, but at 5 months I'm pretty much doing most things again. Everyone's different though. You may or may not be able to get as fit as possible, prior to surgery, depending on your pain, but try to eat healthily to get the best possible outcome.

Just wanted to wish you well.
  • Hey Breichert, I just had L5-S1 fusion surgery on 6/24 - it was posterior, approximately 5hr surgery with 7 day stay in hospital. I'm 6.5 weeks post-op and I'm so happy. To be honest, I was in quite a bit of pain for the first few days in the hospital, but I know that others cruised through with very little pain, so it's definitely a case by case deal. I had a diskectomy last year, 3/08, this was certainly a much bigger more invasive deal, but the results are well worth it. I am swimming, driving, walking, and generally feeling very good. I'm not lifting, twisting, or bending. I carry lite things, like a lawn chair, some groceries, etc. but that's it. I've been going to football practice, watching my son, for the past two weeks, with no issues. I was nervous too, but before you know it, you'll be done with the surgery, and well on your way to a happy, pain free, life. I'm set to go back to work late September (12 weeks off) and feel like I'll be able with no major issues. There are a lot of great people on here, with lots of good advice, but please remember that every case is different. Stay positive, know that you'll be better, and know that you can get through anything. Take care and good luck.
  • I had L4-S1 PLIF last year. I was off work for about 3 months. The first few weeks went by in a blur. I stayed heavily medicated and slept a lot. I still get tired but my Lumbar area is really good now.

I was pretty useless for the first 3 months. I literally had to forget about cooking, housework, laundry etc and accept the help (be it not as good as I wanted), and let the house go. Once I came to terms with that things were a lot better.

My advice is take your meds and stay ahead of the pain. We set up a little basket and journal for medication and whenever I took any pills they were written down in the journal.

Good luck,

• fused last November. The recovery was not fun, but I made it through and am doing fairly well now. I have to be very careful and I'm afraid there are a lot of things I will never be able to do again. Right now I'm trying to work on walking more than a couple hundred feet without stiffening up. I can move fairly easily, can't sit for long periods, but I'm so much better than I was a year ago. Hopefully, with the one level, you will recover more quickly and be much more pain free than I am. Jen is an amazing example of how well you can do. You can tell by her pic that she's got a lot of fusion there!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I was fused in the same spot about 20 months ago. It turned out really well for me, and completely took away the nerve pain running down my leg and the weird tingling/numbing stuff that was happening. I was really nervous beforehand too, but everything turned out for the best.

For the first few days after the surgery, I was wondering what the hell I had done to myself---I didn't expect as much post-op pain as I experienced, and I expected the pain that I did have to be entirely muted by the pain medicine. That's not exactly how it worked, but luckily that suckiness only lasted about 2 weeks. I'd say 3-6 months is a good estimate for recovery. After about 3 months I felt like I could do pretty much anything physical that I wanted (I even started running again)---though it wasn't until about 6 months that those things no longer no longer resulted in some pain.
  • Is there anything else out there to correct an unstable spine? With a level #2 spondy at L4/5 and DDD, D facet disease and scar tissue from a L4/5 discectomy/laminotomy/foramenotomy/facetomy that is wrapping around my nerve root, I've got pain wrapping around my right hip and going down the back of my right leg and pain when leaning/bending, sitting or standing too long.

I thought the minimally invasive would help but now I just have a new problem with the scar tissue. There should be something they can put in the hole so scar tissue don't grow back where it's not supposed to.

I would need a double fusion 4 to Si if I do it but it seems like there should be some new better way than the traditional straight rods and screws.
    If anyone know of something would you let me know? Thanks
  • How are you doing after your surgery?