Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help losing weight please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I was receiving ESI's had 3 from November of last year to June this year, weight has been building. I'm bloated, I have the infamous tire with a bulging belly, never had a weight problem in my life. I was 130 and think I'm at 150 last weigh, I'm afraid to look! It is all over too from head to foot, and I don't over eat, nothing has changed from before in that regard.
Meds are 20mg's of Morphine ER, 10mg's of Baclofen, 25mg of Noratriptyline.
My GP is a twit so he's no help to me.

Been trying to see what diet those of you that are in weight loss group but can't seem to find it. Will try anything at this point am so frustrated!!

Thanks for any help!!

• Hello Donna56 - I was on a couple of meds, that raised holy heck with my goals of losing a little bit of weight over time. Now the trade-off is to figure out which meds give you benefit and which cuase or at a minimum, hinder trying to lose any weight. To prove a point, I kept using my meds, As precribed by my Dr, and limited my intake of calories. I gained 14 lbs in 10 days. My Dr was blaming me for spending all my days at MCD's and eating fries [I never have, still don't years later]
    After a visit to my Dr, I checked with my pharmacist and asked her which would most likely cause weigth gain, and with her advice, I stopped the one that "could" cause problems. Within 4 days, I dropped the weight, it was all fluids.

The other thing I did was include fresh Veggies and fruit, as much as I could stand.[I was not used to that kind of food on a regular basis] I felt a bit better for doing it.

And I walked, as much as I could. Now I know that for me, it hurts like heck when I do a lot of walking. I have severe Stenosis at L3-L4 and so, a lot of walking gives me a LOT of pain in my right leg. But I found that after awhile, I started to lose a bit of weight, about 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. I have kept that up for the last couple of years, on days that I can walk. It is slow and I don't look to lose a lot of it quickly, but My body feels much better for it. I also got to the point where, I could "Feel" when I was gaining weight and as well when I was losing weight. It was really sutle. Oh - also- I use a cane almost all of the time, I find I move my spine ahead a degree or two [PT advice here] and with that I found that I could keep walking and not have so much pain.

Sometimes we have to take the meds because they just do what they are suppose to, but every once in a while, I need to evaluate which have a benefit or detriment and ask my Dr to change one that is hurting me more than helping.

I hope your feeling better! All of us struggle with this issue as we cannot take "working out" any more. For me- it sets of a pain storm.

• I've talked to my pharmacist as well and she says there's nothing there that should cause weight gain. However when I go on the website for all of my meds, they all say weight gain/retention, I believe the latter is the biggest. I'm out in the country on a highway with no sidewalks, I now use a walker for distance walking as I was walking wacky and causing pain to myself.
    I'm also extremely sensitive to most meds and have been through a trial and error and what I'm on is really what I have left. It's a catch 22 isn't it.
    I'm hoping to be able to try a recumbent bike I think they're called also to strengthen my right leg.
    I do think I'll try the fresh fruits and veggies and drinking more water during the day but I think I still need more.

Thank you for taking the time reply!

Take care
  • I use a recumbant bike too. However, I have chronic pain too, and so I have to take it really slow, drop a pillow on the seat to make it really soft.

I live in the country too, driveway is about 800 meters, I just walk up and down, as much as I can stand.

I was on amitrypyline[sp?] and found that it was the problem. It caused most of the issue, as over time I dropped the weight gradually. I still have to use it, but probably once every couple of months, when I have not slept in days and need to force myself to drop. For me - it really messes with my mind - I am groggy from it for a day or two.

My pharmacist told me that Morphine was a clean drug. That it was one of the best to have, sad as it is to say, that I need to use it.
  • Sorry was just going through my meds online, and it's noratripryline that can cause weight changes, taken daily. Well I just went on it a few months ago for muscle spasms, amitriptyline I couldn't tolerate. Now wondering if maybe it's the nora, when you say the ami (too lazy to type) was your culprit. Something I'm going to have to talk to my PM Dr next appointment I'm afraid.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H weight gain can be so particular to each person.. it is difficult to take off especially when we are not as active as we used to be.. :? i went up to almost 160 after being on Lyrica.. i am now down to 130#. it has taken awhile and mostly just cutting calories and eating a low fat to no fat diet.. good luck and if you need a buddy let me know!! :D Jenny :)
  • I was used to being tall and thin. Four years ago, I injured my neck and discovered that I had a birth defect and lots of other bulging and herniated discs in the neck and Tspine. I have gained 70 lbs. I have recently lost 13 lbs after my Dr. started me on Topomax for nerve pain. I don't know if this medicine will help you, but a side effect is lower appetite. It is so difficult to lose wait when you are less active. I also must admit that I feel less useful and crave more chocolate- not a good combo! I would just ask your Dr. if this medicine would benefit your medical situation in any way. I wish you all the BEST!!! Take Care! If you have any questions, you can PM me anytime :)

• The medications Lyrica and Neurontin both come with the side effect of weight gain. I went from 130 to 176!!! I have an appointment with my doctor next week to get a fluid pill. Topomax didn't have any effect on my appetite, although it curbed my cousin's appetite. She said that she had to force herself to each. Not me, buddy!! Good luck with your struggle/progress. Please send me a PM if you'd like to discuss it further.

• Donna56
    The notion that medication alone put on all the weight we gain is wrong, chronic pain would make anyone eat or become inactive and those two are sufficient over time for any of us to gain weight.

Even if you ate 1500 calories with no exercise over time you would put on weight and the key thing is for us to take some responsibility in what we eat and what we do. Our options are limited, many here are fantastic examples of what can be achieved it is not easy, simple or without some pain. We need to be inventive, I cannot walk far especially in relation to keeping fit and would not expect that of myself, however much emphasis I tried it just never worked.

To lose weight you need to get you heart rate up and its most efficient and for pain patients quickly before the time and opportunity runs our, many physical activities may well be beyond us, with the correct effort and support alternative can be found.

Many CP patients have not done any exercise for some considerable time and it is not even on the radar and that weight builds over time, the key is to pace, start off very slowly and over increase the rate and repetition when you are comfortable with what you are doing now.

I cycle and have bought a heart rate monitor, I have lost 30lbs is has taken a long time, some foods I will not now eat and I have increased all the good things, fruit salad, we all know what they are.

I like the fact that you have asked for help and we are a team here Jenny has kindly offered to be your buddy and doing things together and sharing those disappointments and achievements are part of a successful strategy.

Take care John, getting thinner…..

• I gained 50 lbs being immobile at first when I injured my back. I bought a stationary recumbent bicycle and try to do 30 minutes a day to strengthen my legs. It's a good investment and hubby uses it also and he's slim. I lost 15 lbs having the lyrica reduced and I have no dessert except yogurt and fruit. I still have a ways to go with the weight but will try to start walking in the nice weather and hopefully it will help. Good luck with your weight loss. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • This might seem over simplified, but it's been an experiment of mine for 7 weeks and has proved very good. What I did was cut out all corn products. That means anything made with corn, corn syrup, or any other chemical or additive made with corn. The outcome has been that I have lost 15 pounds.
  • Donna, I sent you a Private Message.

I hope that the men on the site realize that weight loss is much harder for women, than men. Men don't have to deal with the hormones and "God given" body traits for bearing children. I agree that a lot of it is "calories in - calories out". But, sometimes a woman (as she ages), can eat the same amount of food and do the same amount of exercise (as before), and still gain weight. Add medications, and it's a gain/gain situation. I believe that we need an SH weight loss club!

• I share your frustration. On one of the other threads, I ranted on and on about how much weight I've gained---about 20 lbs in three weeks. Imagine how many calories I would have had to have consumed! Imagine the amount of food I would have had to have eaten if it were JUST a food thing. I am so disgusted. I hate to look in the mirror. Anyway, there is another antiepileptic drug, like Topamax that is used for nerve pain that has a side effect of weight loss. It is even being used off-label I think, as a weight loss drug: Zonisimide. I was given some by a former pain doc. I'm going to ask my primary for a script. Susan
  • It’s true what they say – all you need to do is watch what you eat, and expend more energy than you consume. It’s really that simple. You can quit reading this list now, you now know everything you need to know and didn’t need to fork over $500 for the privilege of me telling you the secret of losing weight. You don’t need to read a 4,000 page book, you don’t have to buy a tape series, you don’t need to stay up late at night to watch infomercials to understand this basic premise. It’s 100% true.

If possible, purchase fresh foods and avoid package (processed) and convenient foods such as fast food. Packaged and convenient foods are often higher in sodium and fat content. Many people we spoke to are amazed that they can easily lose weight by packing a home-cooked lunch to work instead of eating out.Eating small frequent meals help to balance your calorie intake throughout the day and also keeps your blood sugar level balanced. Instead of eating 3 big meals, try to eat 5 - 6 smaller meals throughout the day.

URL Removed. Solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is not permitted. Moderator haglandc
This discussion has been closed.