Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg feels asleep.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 1 level TLIF at L4-L5 with hardware on January 6, 2009. Before the surgery I had numbness in my left leg that started about 3 months erlier, but was gone after the surgery. For the most part I would say the surgery was a success. I would say I am 80% to 90% pain free in my lower back. So I would call it a success, but for the last few weeks I have been getting a wierd feeling in my left leg. It feels almost like it's asleep from the knee down. It feels week and kinda numb.
The surgeon used BMP along with the bone in the disk space between L4-L5. Could this be a problem? Does the BMP keep growing? Has anyone else had this feeling?

• Based on what I have read here, if that's the most major problem you have, you're doing pretty good. I would imagine it is transient, but I would call your surgeon's office ASAP just to be sure.

• I am not complaining at all. This is nothing compared to what I was feeling and if it stayed like this I would be happy. Like I said I would call the surgery a success. I just wanted to know if this is something normal that other people have gone through or should I worry about it getting worse. I felt better 2 months ago than I do now.
  • i have read of rare problems where the bmp leaks out and encases nerves. tingles like youre getting are the first sign of nerve irritation. to be safe check with a surgeon asap.
    most likely its just a little scar tissue in which case the dr may have you do physical therapy.
    you may want to meet with new dr as sometimes the original surgeon hates to hear of new problems......best....pete