Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks Post-Op TLIF L5/S1- 3 questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Received TLIF fusion on July 14 for grade 2 spondylolisthesis at L5/S1. Post operative pain is mostly spasms in mid and lower back. although there are occasional "shooters" with the sciatic nerve. Walked out of hospital the next day after 7 hours of surgery. Have been walking every day, and began very light swimming program (treading water) after my two-week follow-up per my doctor.

Prior to surgery, pain was most severe while sitting, even for a few minutes. The more I walked or swam, the better. Surgical report showed that bone was very hard and thick, and fusion should go well. Also, L5 nerve root was compressed and facet joint was "very thin".

Have always been very active and realize that frequent movement is the best thing for maximum recovery. However, I wonder if I am overdoing things a bit.

QUESTION 1: Any lessons learned on activity after surgery?
QUESTION 2: When can I realistically expect to sit comfortably for more than 20 minutes?
QUESTION 3: Currently taking percs as needed and Soma for the spasms. Was on Flexerl, but it doesn't seem to be as effective. Anybody agree/disagree?

• I had a TLIF on L4-S1 over a year ago but it didn't work out for me. I think you're doing really well so far. Just be careful not to overdo it when it comes to activities. This is major surgery and your body needs plenty of rest and time to heal. Follow your surgeon's recommendations and restrictions on bending, lifting, and twisting. He may let you drive short distances after 2 weeks post op. I can't tell you when you'll sit comfortably without pain. It is a gradual process and you could start off with sitting 5 minutes pain free, then 10, 30 etc. As far as Flexiril, it never did anything for me other than zombie me out. My NS had me on Valium 10mg for 3 months post op, and then I was switched back to Zanaflex. Soma works really well but some doctors won't prescribe it because they think it's very addictive when taken with another pain killer. I'm allowed 1-2 Zanaflex every 8 hours as needed for the chronic muscle spasms I get.

I hope you continue to progress and completely recover from your fusion. Take care