Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Yeah one for me,zero for the doc.

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i saw my doc. yesterday.I told her that my mri was too far away for me and she said that sept. wasn't that far off.I said no its not if your not the one in pain ,but that my pain was bad and i couldn't stand it anymore.She asked me if therapy was helping at all.I said yes but only the days that i'm there and by the next day the pain shoots back up again and i was tired of having huge spikes of pain and not being able to deal with it.I told her that i either wanted to go to a pain management clinic or back to my neurologist so she could manage me.She told me she didn't want to do anything until she found out the results of the mri and said she would give me something stronger for the pain.She asked me about anti inflammatories and i told her that was all i was taking and they didn't do anything for my pain at all.She said that usually after car accidents its inflammation that causes the pain,but i told her that i've been on three different ones and none of them helped me.So she gave me a perscription for pain meds. instead. One to take every eight hours and another for breakthrough pain,and a refill on my muscle relaxants to help me sleep through the night.i went on a twenty min. ride on sun. and had a horrible headache and neck ache when i was seeing her.I got the perscriptions filled right away,i had to take everything she gave me yesterday but by the end of the day my neck pain and headache were finally gone.Its amazing how she went from saying she wasn't going to give me any narcotics at all for me just to take tylenols to giving me two perscriptions when i tell her i want to see someone different LMAO. :))( =D>

• Way to go Tammy! Stick to your guns and make the doc work for you like they are supposed to. Glad you are getting some sort of relief even if it is to hold you over for now.

• Tammy - that is great - if you are anything like me - It took alot for you to do what you did! We have to be our own best advocate. I hope that you are in less pain - and you are so right - Sept is a long way off if you are the one in pain!

Is she aware of the herniations in your thoracic.....that is one place that the pain can be off the charts....you have been living on Tylonel - omg! yippie for you - here's to less pain.
  • You go girl <:P We all know how hard it can be to communicate your needs to a doctor. You turned it into a productive outcome and you were very proactive =D>
  • Good for you, girl! If you don't stick up for yourself, nobody else will. So glad to hear you have some relief at last. =D>

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • yes it definitely took everything for me to stand up to her.She's a very out spoken doctor and believes that people shouldn't take pain meds unless absolutely necessary.I was shocked when she actually agreed to give me some.LOL. I think i took her by surprise when i told her i wanted someone else to manage my pain.Absolutely two and a half month wait is a long time when your living in pain every day.Yes she knows about the herniation in my thoracic area,thats why she agreed to get the mri done to see if the herniation was made worse by the car accident.Also because of the numbness in my legs and now feet she wants to find out why there like that and the bladder problem i was having when my therapist was trying to get the disc to move a bit.I think they both agreed that my bladder had gone into spasm because of that.So far the pills she gave me are working half assed lol if i can say that :))( the one pill helps quite a bit but she perscribed it only for breakthrough pain the other one doesn't seem to do much so i have pain for half of the day at least until i can take the second pill.I'm going to keep trying this for a week at least and see what happens,if by next week i'm not feeling better i'll call there office and see if she can switch the one med. for something else.i'll let you's know what happens.
  • Well done, a good lesson for all to take charge of your medical treatments so that you get what is best, you both understand each other, and in the end you feel that you have been treated appropriately, with respect.
    You really have to question the medicos until you fully understand what they are saying or doing, and why, and you also have to explain your side until they get it.
    If you don't agree with their opinion, question it.
    Doctors often have different opinions amongst themselves, so there is no reason not to take it up.
    AND...it makes you feel so much better to have been listened to.
    We tend to think that our doctors know all about us when we walk in, based on previous visits and history, and get a shock when they have to refer to the file notes to find out who we are and what is wrong.
    As soon as you leave you are out of mind.
    So it pays to refresh the doctor with what your status is, rather than assuming that he knows. He/ she doesn't.
    And in your case she had it wrong.
  • i just wish that she did know me better then she does,but unfortunately i am a new patient to her.I also feel though that she has pre-judged me as a pill seeker because i ask for pain pills for back pain,understandably because of the accident.She doesn't take the time to see that i am in pain or ask me how my day to day pain ratios are.i ask for stronger meds. and she auotmatically assumes that i'm looking for a high when in fact i just want to be able to function through my day without feeling like a piece of garbage.her reasoning before was that people that get addicted to drugs starts at there family doctors offices alot of the time,but i'm not asking for drugs that i could become addicted to,i'm just asking for medications that will help calm my pain.There are many drugs that help with pain that aren't addictive.