Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Pain from Facet Arthopathy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am wondering if anyone has the same problem I do. I was diagnosed with Facet joint disease about 8 years ago. Over the years it has just gotten worse. I have also developed bone spurs from L1- to S5 joints. I can no longer walk more that a few feet and cannot stand for more than a minute. The pain I have from walking or standing becomes excruciating to the point that I have even passed out.

I have taken pain meds and am talking them now, but I do not take a lot only 30mg morphine sulfate three times a day. I could double tripple, whatever and it still would never make it able for me to walk of stand.

I have had 18 radial frequency treatments, in which they burn the nerve roots, but the nerves grow back so I stopped. The best Spine Surgeon in the state told me surgery would not help.

I have seen exercises for strengthening, however, I cannot get on the floor, as I have one bad knee and one replaced knee.

Should I just jump in and cover myself with dirt, or does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

• That is a lot of radiofrequency treatments. I'm sorry you are in pain and do not see a way out from under it.

Have you consulted with different specialties of doctors to see if they all agree that no surgery would benefit your situation?

I wondered if you had thought about a spinal chord stimulator to help with the pain...whether that had ever been suggested to you?

You might want to read through some of the posts under the Pain Management thread to see if there is someone who has facet disease.

Please post often with your comments and questions. There are many knowledgeable and supportive people on this board.
  • Let go of that shovel dear ;) I know how you feel because I have it too and know how painful facet arthritis is. I'm sorry you're having so much pain. Ms. Gwennie's right, there is hope for us by means of pain mgt. I spend most of the time in bed because it hurts all the time and I find it difficult to even walk. I hope to have a pain pump surgically implanted so I can have a better quality of life. Do you take something else besides the MS Contin such as muscle relaxers and NSAIDS? A combination of medication is more effective than just one or one class. You can also use ice packs and heating pads to supplement your pain relieving regimen. I have a tens unit too; maybe your doctor can write you a script for one and the insurance should cover it. Just check with your policy. I do hope you find treatment that will help you more. Take care :H
  • Oh my, I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to find someone who actually knows my suffering. I too stay in bed a lot, have to lay on my right side cause my left hip is a mess too:) I have a tens and keep forgetting to use it. I do all you do also, but have never tried an NSAIDS. I use Flexeril for spasms. I'll have to look into those NSAIDS. I am blessed to have a scooter so I can go places at least. Again thank you and may we talk often, can I send you a private message occasionally just if I need a shoulder to cry on, I would be there for you too. Have a good night.

This discussion has been closed.