Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 days post-op.....much improvement!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had posted previously about how much pain I was still in 3 days post-op (Micro D), which now seems ludicrous. Why was I expecting so much? In all honesty, I didn't really know what to expect, which seems to be common amongst us newbies! Anyhow, every day I have seen and felt improvement, except sleeping at night, which is still bad, but the days....no pain meds except Tylenol/Aleve, and I can walk around a whole block with virtually no pain (except for the tight muscles in my buttocks from not having used them for so long before surgery!)

I was regretting having the surgery, I was in that much pain in the few days immediately after surgery, and scared that I had irreversably done myself more damage, but after today, I am SOOO glad that I made that decision, and that I have such a great Dr. ! Before surgery, I couldn't walk more than 50 ft. without extreme pain in my left hip, or sit for more than 10 minutes without my right leg going numb. And now I am sitting for 30 minutes at a time, walking with no assistance (crutches) and hardly any pain. To those of you who are just out of surgery or about to go in, I give you encouragement and hope, and wish all the speedy and successful recovery I am having.

• thanks for the optamistic post, keep us informed.
  • Glad to hear that you have turned the corner on healing and are feeling much better.

It is very difficult the first time we have spine surgery or a different type of spine surgery and we feel worse for a while after surgery. If most of us saw how our bodies are positioned, strapped and manipulated during surgery, we would understand a great deal more. When the doc goes in and moves nerves to the side and cleans things out, it still means our body has been through additional trauma. We've got to understand that for a few weeks we won't feel like running a marathon or going out to get the mail.

Thanks for the update.

• I'm so glad you are starting to feel better. Now, the important part: do not overdo it!! And do not be discouraged if you have a little set-back. That is very common -- I always say the process is "baby steps" -- you take a couple forward and then one step back. Do not be alarmed if this happens to you.

Also, do not be in a hurry to build up your walking mileage. If you are still feeling good the day following your walk, VERY gradually increase. Each new day, walk just a little bit further. Do not be in a hurry to pick up your speed and be careful about taking too big a stride. That too can cause a flare in pain.

We will all enjoy following your forward progress.