Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aqua- Pool Therapy- The BEST

jean jayejjean jaye Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Alternative Treatments
I just wanted to share my positive experience. I have been on my 5th try at physical therapy when I finally got offered warm, pool therapy. I have had flare-ups at different times during all the other attempts at PT that ended the PT. I have had the BEST improvement and longest treatment with the combination of warm, pool therapy twice a week and land therapy once a week. I LOVE the pool therapy! I have just gotten full range of motion for the first time (under the water) in 4 years with my frozen shoulder. I have neck problems, right side, shoulder arm and hand issues. I know that everyone is different, but it is worth a try if the doctor recommends it!! I am also getting weekly, lidocaine, trigger point injections that have helped me to delay increasing my pain meds so I can do the therapy. I am sure that they have helped me to handle the therapy. I just can't believe how much more comfortable it is to move in the warm water. I was so nervous and guarded at first about the pain. The therapist is so nice and patient. She started with slow and easy, passive movements to prove to me that I could move under the water. It has been months, but I can't believe the difference. I hope that this inspires someone to give it a try. I had given up on PT. I am so thankful that I gave this a try. I have to admit that I am also very thankful that insurance covered all of this!

glo :)

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839

I am real happy that you have had positive results from Aqua Therapy. After a year of Aqua Therapy, I signed up for an independent program at the same Rehab center. I do the same routine, just that Insurance does not pay for it. But for me it is worth it.
    I go 3x week for about 90 minutes each time. I love it. Being in a therapeutic pool heated to about 94 degrees feels so good. THen you have the advantage of no stress or weight being placed on your body when you are in the pool.
    Its a definite full time routine for me
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I hope to go to an independent program at the rehab. hospital pool which is also at 94 degrees when I complete my treatment plan. I think it works out to around $60.00 per month. I think that this will be great for me and some exercise! I am glad to hear that the independent program has worked out so well for you!!

• I'm going through my second recovery from back surgery and again using thr pool each day. I was told to walk in chest high water holding an upright float at arms length. Steps need to be straight legged and high. The idea of the float is primarily to make you less stable which encourages your core muscles to switch on. Also, keeping the float at arms full stretch gives greater resistance and gives your arms and shoulders a bit of a work out. I now incorporate sets of leg lifts for quads/hamstrings and adductors. I do this for half an hour and did so for four months when recovering from a multi level hybrid surgery last year. I've been doing it for about four weeks so far after revision fusion and bi-lateral SIJ fusion in April this year. The important thing is that it works. Its slow and pretty boring but I can feel my core working and getting stronger after such a long lay off doing nothing. I would recomend it to anyone recovering from spinal surgery. I hope it may help others with their recovery.
    Brian (London, UK)
  • Hi Everyone

I've noticed how much a hot shower alone can help so I am sure that a warm pool would be great. There are no warm pool PT's near me. Do you think a hot tub would be considered as a medically necessary expense? I'm thinking that someday when the no-fault insurance pays it might be a good investment. Would be even better if it was tax deductible.

• I have a hot tub and it is one of the few things that actually relieve the pain. Although it is only effective while I am in it...and maybe 15 minutes after. Most docs will write a script for it and while insurance won't usually pay, it is something you can write off, if you have enough medical expenses to itemize.
    I sometimes use twice a day. Many gyms will give you a free pass for a day and you could see if it helps, without joining a gym.

Best of luck.
  • jean jaye, so glad you have found the joys of warm water therapy..you sound like it has made such a difference in your pain levels. i am so happy for you glo!! keep it wet! L, Jenny :)
  • I am very glad to heard that you have faced positive experience through this therapy share more details about this therapy.