Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chronic nerve pain in arm ,does it get better?

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Greetings to all.
I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on chronic nerve pain in my tricep and bicep muscle after ACDF 9 months ago after cord compression from herniated disc and myelopathy. I have muscle weakness to the left arm which i am in therapy for.I actually feel worse after the arm exercises and the weakness is worse after therapy. I feel like I have a floppy arm that someone is stabbing with an ice pick. I can't even stand the air conditioning to blow on it because it hurts worse. They told me it can take 1 to 2 years for neurological recovery but I am becoming impatient because i don't feel like therapy is putting a dent in the arm pain. To make matters worse,I asked the Dr to wean me off the lyrica because it was causing me severe memory issues. I think my pain has increased on the lower dose of lyrica.
I don't even know who to ask anymore for help.My Drs keep pointing fingers at each other.My NS states "I fixed your cord compression,problem solved"Has anyone had this chronic nerve issue in these muscles and can it get better with time?
Thanks for your input or suggestions. Bethy

• i had fusion of c6/c7/t1/t2 for chronic neck, shoulder, upper back and arm pain. unfortunately my arm pain has increased since surgery 6 yrs ago. i find that exercise aggravates it. the only exercise i do for the arms is a gentle swim. every time i try to push the arms i have terrible pain for days so i just go light on the exercise of arms.
  • Thanks Pete. You are right about increased arm pain with exercise.My Physical Therapist knows that using weights increases my pain but insists that I do it anyway.So I do it to keep everyone happy and I always suffer till my next PT session.Bethy
  • if you do continue with therapy i have a suggestion regarding what muscles to work on.
    the muscles you know are the worst and are most effected by nerve pain you should try leaving alone. adjacent muscles that dont flare up could be worked more heavily. try putting that by the therapist. i'd be curious what h/she says. just trying to ease your pain. i say gentle but continuous exercise the best....not weight work and heavy pulling. i know this is best for my body but as you know everyones different