Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Lower Back Pain

I posted a few days ago about this...didn't get much feedback. I had a micro d in Nov. 2007. I have been stiff, some spasms, more pain than normal...NOTHING LIKE pre-surgery though.

I had the MRI and asked for the report since I couldn't it in with my neuro until 8/28 (almost a month between) and I wanted to know or see for myself was was up since it was so far away.

At the time of my surgery there was nothing stated about ANTEROLISTHESIS at all just a major disc. herniation L5-S1 area. I'm concerned because from what I've read it's like a fracture and I haven't hurt myself. I get what it means as far as "slippage" but does it ALWAYS requre surgery or can you just medicate pain and wait it out? PT? I'm just wondering if anyone else has this diag. and what they did?

Also noted L4-5; demonstates a right paracentral disc bulge (3mm) mild alteration of the normal signal. Mild crowding of the right lateral recess but central canal and foramina at patent.

Anyone in this situation or have insight as to how it's treated would be great!

• Many times this condition is not noted until imaging is done for other purposes, and it shows up at that time. Surgery is not required and is not necessary unless there is too much instability in the spinal segments. You do not necessarily have to have a fracture to have anterolisthesis. You can be born with a pars defect or it can come about naturally from the degenerative process, too.

You might want to read through this so you have a better understanding. I'm not sure what parts of the following apply to you...but it won't hurt to have the information so you can better understand your doctor's explanations. http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spondylolisthesis/spondylolysis-and-spondylolisthesis

If you do not have instability as a problem, this condition can be treated with conservative measures such as chiropractic, bracing, physical therapy, etc. Otherwise you might be looking at a fusion at some point. It just depends on how much pain you are in.

There is LOTS of good information on this website. After you meet with your doctor, you might want to read through the parts that pertain to your situation.

• I have grade 1 cervical anterolisthesis and my surgeon mentioned it but no more than that. I don't have any pain from the misalignment but I do have significant arthritis in the same area which is also not causing me any pain---yet.

You may be in the same situation. If your doctor doesn't mention the anterolisthesis when he gives you the MRI interpretation, ask him what it means and what significance there is for your health.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • If this is in L4-5 or L5-S1 it could be a bit more of a problem, as L5-S1 takes the brunt of all body movement and is the most common disk to have problems, followed by L4-l5. Hopefully it won't be a problem for you...but do ask your doctor if he fails to mention it.
  • Thanks everyone for your feedback.

L4-5 has the bulge and crowding. etc this is where the initial herniation was.

L5-S1 is where they are noting the anterolisthesis. Disc extends into the ingerior aspects of the neural foramina. Canal patent, there is mild narrowing of the foramina.

L3-4 show minimal bulge flattenting the thecal sac. Cancal and foramina are patent.

It's like every area has an "issue" is the DDD? I mean they asked me a million times initially if I injured myself which I had been knocked down (puppy, by the pool) and feel hard holding my baby at the time (didn't drop the baby) but smack on my rear, a few months later the pain started. I guess I blamed it on that but now I'm thinking something else is going on. I do data entry and sit at the computer ALOT and I'm thinking it's making things worse?

• I have had chronic back problems for yearssss. I had gone through all of the injection, prolotherapy, and physical therapy to no avail. My back was very unstable.

3 years ago I had Lumbar fusion (laminectomy & posterior fusion) from L3 to L5 which consisted of Bilateral pedicle screws and vertical stabilizing bars. I have arthritis, stenosis, and now anterolisthesis. They just found disc bulge at L1-L2, another at L2-L3 with mild bilateral foraminal narrowing, and L3-L4 minimal bilateral foraminal narrowing as a result of a disc bulge.

We are starting over with injections they called a hardware block. Seems to help some. I am very cautious about what I do, and if I could lose weight it might even be better, but easier said than done. I am not a young woman any longer, yet young enough to feel vibrant and ready to go.

Between the surgery, the injections, and pain medication life is good. I wear a brace on occasion. My surgeon and pain management are taking it one step at a time. Try to keep as active as possible by walking, dancing, etc. Slow walking such as meandering through the mall makes things worse. You have to walk, walk.

These are my impressions. Would love any other suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.