Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I NEED HELP!! please tell me what my MRI means, and how to fix it!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all
I am new to the site, and glad i found it! Here's my story:
I was in a car accident in Oct. 2008. I was rear ended by a school bus going about 40mph while i was stopped at a red light.
I went to the emergency room and they took xrays,etc. Well, later i had an MRI on my lower back and found out i had disk bulges.
I went to physical therapy for 3 months, then chiro for 3 months for my neck and back. Neither helped. So i got 3 steroid injections in my lower back. Those helped for about 3 months. NOW the pain is back and MUCH MUCH worse.
I went back to the doc and she ordered another MRI. here is what the new one said:

c5-c6 Right paracentral endplate spurring with underlying disc bulge and mild indentation of the right ventral thecal sac.

L4-L5 2mm disk bulge with flattening of the ventral thecal sac

L5-S1 2 mm disk bulge with patent neural foramins and spinal canal.

What do these mean!!! I have tried sos many pain relievers and nothing is working. I cant sleep, i cant work. PLEASEEEE HELPPPPPP

• It looks as if you have damage and you need to have a doctor explain it all to you. I hope someone here can help you but you need to have a doctor explain it to you and get help. For now I would find a pain Management doctor and see what your options are. You don't want to live in pain. Good Luck!

• i am concerned its lasted this long. in my opinion you should get the best expert on the spine involved. i surgeon who specializes on the spine would have the best knowledge on how to fix your problem and prevent permanent damage.
    what kind of dr are you seeing now?
  • I have seen physical therapists, a chiropractor, a regular like "family" doctor, and a neurosurgeon. I am done with the physical therapists, the chiro, and the regular doctor because my issue is above their heads (as i found out the hard way).

The neurosurgeon gave me 3 cortisone shots that in the past 2 weeks have worn off.. I am seeing him again on the 17th to see what else needs to be done. Until then, i get to suffer...

The tramadol (ultram) makes it very hard for me to breath.. i have to take my inhaler about 5 times a day.. but he wont prescribe me anything else until i see him. So im stuck. Any suggestions??????
  • you having breathing problems. side effects can be shallow breathing and it is considered serious enough for trip to emergency room. here is a link for you to read for youself...best you demand attention....pete
  • did you notice literature said to stop taking the tramadol if youre having breathing trouble?
  • yes, i read that on another site a few days ago. It said that having trouble breathing was just a side affect.. it didnt say to stop taking it if that happened. I am not going to take it anymore though. I woke up last night because i couldnt breath. Thank you for posting the website. I see my surgeon monday and will let him know what is happening.

My only problem now is that i dont have any pain relievers that will work. My neck hurts so bad its to the point of making me want to vomit. Hyrdocodon, Acetaminophen, and vicodin dont work for me.. Is there any other pain killer you would suggest?
  • i would press ice against the little bone about 2'' behind your ear. dont be afraid to use a lot of pressure. also place some ice in the middle of the back of your neck. try different spots and see what works for you. i would place call to your dr and tell the dr what happened. if you look at the link i sent you you will see that what you went through was an emergency situation and not just a normal side effect.....