Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will a letter from my doctor help my SSDI appeal?

svtrichssvtrich Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I finished up the online appeal process earlier today and I was wondering if I sent letters from doctor if that would help me. Richard

• I too was denied I go to see a lawyer next Tuesday. It is a disability lawyer that only takes the case if they think they can win. Disability already has all my Doctors info. and I was denied. I was denied because I am smart. No kidding. Because of my education, training, and work history I was denied. what does the past have to do with now? So my advice is you better get a lawyer.
  • my attorney said to fill the appeal and if it gets denied,he'll take over.What if my doctor doesnt have in his notes that Im disabled??
  • Your doctor does not need to state specifically that you are disabled. Your medical records should support that finding.

And Honeygram (love that name!), the reason you were denied is because SSA feels that although you are impaired enough that you cannot perform the work you used to do, you have the ability to perform other types of work (in other words, you have the brains and the skills to be trained for something else) that is either physically or mentally less demanding than your prior work. It sucks, I know. But in order to be considered disabled (according to the Federal Guidelines) you have to have an impairment that is expected to last a year or more, OR be bad enough that you will die. The condition should be severe enough that it prevents you from not only performing your past work, but ANY work (and not just in your home town, within the NATIONAL ECONOMY). They don't consider whether a prospective employer will hire you; only if you can do the work.

SSDI, Workers Compensation and STD/LTD insurance all have different rules/regulations and agendas. With SSDI, there is no "can I receive disabiilty for a little while, just until I recover from this surgery?" That would fall under STD at work... AND, WC wants you to file a SSDI claim so THEY won't have to pay you. It's all a crazy maze... Makes MY head spin!!

It sounds harsh, but if you are approved for disability, you could - theoretically - be on it the rest of your life (or until you reach retirement age, in which case your retirement will automatically kick in). The money you pay today for Social Security Retirement is not put into your own special little account (as I thought when I first started working)... it is used to pay benefits TODAY - for other people receiving disability or retirement. THIS is why it is so hard to be approved. They (SSA) have to be 100% sure that you cannot do any kind of work and be productive. This only ensures (hopefully) $$$ will be there for the retirees who worked 30+ years, or those so severe they cannot work in even the most simplest of jobs, even though they want to.

I hope this has at least made a little bit of sense and cleared up any questions you may have...

Take care - hope you all have a great day!