Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! Quick Poll on mattresses

lynnsyllynnsy Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Sleep Problems
I had a three level spinal fusion 1 year 6 months ago. I still suffer from lower lumbar pain and radiates into my hips and buttocks in back. I'm use to it, and still on pain meds....life goes on.

I figured out recently though, it's having a lot to do with our mattress. It's 7 years old, it was great in it's time, but I fear it's time to move on.

I've been reading everyones posts on mattresses, first the select comfort bed is totally out of the question financially, geez their expensive! So I've been reserching the Sealy and the Serta. I'm really stuck on the Sealy. We and buying a new one in the next 2 days, so I need your ideas, or if you prefer the Sealy over the Serta, or visa-versa. Also I live in Colorado, so does anyone know more about the Simmons? (I think I just like the little sheep,I had to buy the little stuffed one years ago, toooo cute lol:)

Please help???? Such a big IMPORTANT, costly purchase
advertisement

Comments

• Mine is a Sealy, but Sealy or Serta, I'd buy a foam mattress topper. Sam's Club and Walmart sell them. It has improved my comfort and my sleep 100%.

Sweet Dreams,

Rusty
  • I researched this a lot, as I had the same basic surgery 2+ yrs ago, and suffer lot of the same pain. I search the internet for reviews, and opinions for weeks. I talked to internet retailers, and local matress retailer. I did lots of brand, and matress types. For me I finally went with an ajustable bed with a sealy rivercrest plush top latex matress. What finally sold me on this matress was the long gevity of the matress (20yrs), and the fact that if I found the matress to soft I could flip it over, and make it a harder matress. This would save me lots of time, and money.
    I got a great deal from the internet, about $$$$ cheaper than anywhere else. If you like to know, just give me an IM. I do however recomend to say away from foam matresses. They sag in short order, and make you feel like your in a cocoon, and can't move out of that spot. It sucks!
    I hope this helps. And to let you know. I am not a sales person for sealy, or any other company. I'm just a poor person(sucker) that got stuck with a cheap expensive matress.
    Bobbi Jo
  • I think mine is a simmons, I have it set so the bed is 38 inches high. I have to slide off to the floor, never have to lift myself up from the bed.

When I am really sore, it helps a lot!
  • I have found since my fusion that regardless of the mattress I have to have a foam topper on it. It makes all the difference in the world! I have tried three different beds in our house - all with very different mattresses and found all work if I put the foam topper on them. None work for me without it. I bought a really inexpensive one at Walmart or Shopco and it has been great.
  • Thanks guys, after mucho research on this confusing subject, I became like that commercial on TV about "brain overload" from the internet. Then I was really getting confused. Ended up buying the Sealy Unity Plush Posturpedic with one side medium soft, and the other side firmer. You can have it made different on each side, pretty cool), this mattress is awesome, and comfortable??? I did find out "truths and miths" about mattresses through this brain boggeling process..... Simmons break down after about 3 years, Serta does basically the same thing,oh ya, and individually wraped coils is not a good thing cause the materials start sliding on that material after about 1 year! But the Sealy's last about 10 years before breakdown occurs, plus the edge won't break down, where you sit the most? It's got the 3 major pressure point areas stabilized.

So I'm crossing my fingers that my $800 mattress will eleviate my sleeping, and tossing and turning problem, And hurting like heck for 2 hours after I TRY to roll out of bed problem!!! I also found out, it dowsn't matter what the cost of the mattress is, (well sorta, ya don't want to spend less than $500) your mostly paying for the "name", and not the durability and comfort.

It will be delivered next Thursday!!! Can't wait!!
  • Lucky for you I missed this post earlier or you would have had one more vote to think about! Extra overload! LOL!
    I think you made a good choice! Actually, I bought a Sealy after my first surgery and just before my fusion and it has been great! I recently had to look for a mattress for our extra bedroom and after trying a few the salesman suggested I just told him I really prefer sealy ...sure enough, I bought another sealy! Even though I like my sealy(s) I'm going to check out the one you bought for the future as it sounds like a good idea to have a soft and medium side available with our changing backsnecks, etc. I hope you have peaceful nights with less pain so you can sleep deep enough to have good dreams!!

Kathy
  • WOW!!! THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT TO SAY!!!!!! Last night was my first night on our new Sealy Unity Posturpedic plush top mattress. As I rolled over from side to side, I DIDN'T HAVE THAT HORRIBLE PAIN SHOOTING THROUGH ME!!!! I noticed it right away! I was having serious issues with rolling over to my right side, so bad, that it would almost make me cry, or I just wouldn't bother rolling over on my right side. I figured out "why" it hurt so bad quite a while back after looking at my x-rays. My spine curves to the right, and of course my 6" rods down on the L,2,3,4 are straight! So when I would roll over to the right, the curve in my old mattress was fighting against that. (I know kinda hard to visulize) My old mattress was a little too soft.

Anyway, last night was heaven, and even moreso, when I rolled out of bed this morning, and slowly stood up (as I've been doing since surgery) I was shocked that my back wasn't killing me, and I wasn't immediately going to my Percocet!!! I told my husband last night before going to bed, (I helped with moving furniture around yesterday, not much, but I knew too much)that "tomorrow I'm going to be paying for that, and laying on the couch all day!!" But guess what, I feel amazing good. I haven't felt this in 1 year 6 months!!!

I highly reccomend the Sealy Unity Posturpedic plush mattress. The back support 3 level support system is perfect for lumbar fusion patients!! YAY!!! And absolutely AMAZING what a good mattress does!!
  • It's kinda funny.... my Neurosurgeon never said a thing about, "with your fusion, you probably need to go out and purchase an expensive mattress", LOL:)
  • best bet a good pocket sprung with a layer of memory foam on the top :not a topper} even better that mattress on an electrical adjustable base,tempur too hard .velda fantastic
    STRAKER
  • My mattress, a sealy or serta, can't remember...
    plush top that failed within the first 1.5 years.

The warranty states you send in the tags (and don't get them back!) if the top sags. I did, a person came out during the afternoon and measured the sag which wasn't deep enough. Make sure you lie on the mattress for at least 30 minutes before the person comes and checks it as it won't have the same amount of sag you normally get (along with the pain).

I eventually just ripped all the outside stuff off and am sleeping on the foam which still sags but not as much as the pillow top did. I'm not even done paying for the mattress and it's just about 2 years old!

FYI...
advertisement