Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Three and a half weeks post op ACDF C5/6

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Guys and Gals,

First let me say thank you to everyone that posts and chats here. I learned a wealth of info before my surgery. I had a C5/6 ACDF on July 20. It went very well and immediatly upon awakening my arm pains were gone. I had a week or so of swallowing difficulties. I went home from the Hospital the next day and got my staples out 5 days later. I returned to work (desk job mostly with a 1 1/2 hour commute each way) in two weeks. I still have some mild pain at the surgery site but that is getting better all the time. I wish I could name my surgeon here but if you are in the Houston Area PM me and I will give his info. A lot of times on here we hear stories of the unsuccessful surgeries, and while I am nowhere near out of the woods yet, I consider this a huge success so far. Thanks and I hope my experience will help someone out.

Don
advertisement

Comments

• Congratulations, Don, on a successful surgery AND recovery! I'm very happy for you and can't believe you're back to work so soon.

Please continue to take care of yourself and thanks for posting your update.

Cath
  • Don that is wonderful - I have suffeered for almost 3 years and have done all the conservatives - but with no releif.

Actually I have gotten progressively worse...but my emg was normal so they continue to disregard my c56 hernation...and say it is all muscle.

I have a 2nd mri (last 1/08) and a new series of xrays with flex and extension views on 9/23 - hopefully this will show them more.

It is terrific your recovery - and yes - it helps to balance out the bad news.
  • it is always good to hear of people who are recovering well. =D> <:P >:D< again congrats to you Flyersdon! and continue your progress.
    LEO
  • Thanks Don, it's great to hear positive surgery outcomes. I may be there one day, and it seems everyone has a horror story (talking general life, everyone knows someone who had xyz horrible stuff...)
  • Hi Don, Your post came for me at the right time. I am so afraid of my fusion of C5-6, and your good news took me to a different level of hope! I hope I have similar results to you! So nice to hear you woke up without pain in your arm!

Wishing you a continued great recovery, and a big thank you for sharing!

ilene
    Ilene
  • #:S I would also like to thank you for posting your positive surgery experience and recovery.

For those of us getting ready to have the same procedure, it helps eliminate some of the negative outcome concerns that naturally accompany this type of surgery. :SS

I hope you continue to have a quick and full recovery. :0)
  • I am only 3 days post op and am so glad i had this procedure. I have only suffered with about 6 weeks of severe symptoms and was unsure of having the surgery because i never had any conservative treatment. My doctor thought it would do more harm than good. Also, my symptoms actually lessened the week before surgery. But the surgeon said the disc was actually ruptured into pieces instead of just herniated. I had made the right decision. I also trusted my surgeon's opinion. I just tried to second guess my decision too much. But in the end, i am glad it was done.
  • Don,
    this is wonderful news. I had my surgery on July 24th. I was told surgery or go paralyzed. I had not been in a recent accident, fallen, etc....but in late May I was having alot of swelling near my left elbow. Shooting pains accompanied this. Eventually my entire left hand went numb. Good thing I have friends who urged me to go to our local Urgent Care from the get go. The Physicians Assistant thought it might be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and ordered up the first MRI. Three days later I was sitting in the neurosurgeons office because the neurologists knew there was nothing they could do for me. I walk in with my kids (14 and 10 at the time) because they wanted to be a part of the decision making. On the screen in front of me is my MRI scans. I can see right where the discs were herniated and pinching my spine. The part that scared the heck out of me was the spot IN my spine. I have a degree as a medical assistant and knew this was not normal. "Dr. Dreamboat" came in and was very forthright. He graciously answered any and all questions we had. He told me he would order up a second MRI, with contrast to make sure the "spot" was not a tumor. He felt that it was a syrinx. Sure enough, and thank the good Lord, the spot is just a fluid build up---syrinx. Dr. Dreamboat said he would not mess with that and that we would just keep an eye on it.
    I, too, was so amazed that after almost 7 weeks of not feeling my left side...........upon awakening in my hospital room, there it was. I could feel my 10 yr old rubbing my hand. My left thumb was still a bit numb...but it didn't have that dead feeling I was getting used to. For the past almost 2 weeks, I have had full feeling.
    I have posted, as my picture, my 3 wk post op pic. I am in the southern Wisconsin area and if anyone has any questions about this amazing neurosurgeon, please get in touch with me.
    I wish you all the greatest of recoveries and surgeries.
    God Bless!
    ~tib
advertisement