Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

FOUR LEVEL FUSION

el28bookeel28book Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROCEDURE? I ALSO HAVE KYPHOSIS,AND A SLIPPED VERTEBRAE...
advertisement

Comments

• MODIFICATION TO EARLIER POSTING....
  • Ive had a 2 level cervical fusion c4 to c6 with a corporectomy at c5 and a c3 laminectomy.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Why is a surgeon suggesting a 4 level fusion? What kind of issues do you have other than kyhphosis. What types of test have the run? What levels are they discussing. Keep in mind we consider a level for example c5-c6 is on level fusion. How many opinion have you had that thought this was the proper protocol. Fusing 4 levels in the cervical spine will leave you very little range of motion. What type of bone are grafting are they suggesting to use? Please give more information and maybe someone can give some assistance.
  • Thank you all for your great responses. I have learned so much from reading these posts and am very impressed with the bravery people exhibit when undergoing these procedures and dealing with the outcomes..which we all want to be very positive. I am very much in the beginning stages of this and am trying to avoid surgery, but I have been told that my neck is "wrenched" to either 18 or 25 degrees...asking for clarification. I have DDD at three discs, and was told a possible fusion of C3-7 which I assumed would be four levels. I also have spondylosis and spondylolthesis (sp?) at c3-4 and perhaps 4-5 ....My symptoms include stiffness...some pain and discomfort.I did have burning in the arms and hands while working, but it is very rare to have that now.I am really not at the point where I would have surgery yet..unless they feel that the cord is being impinged upon. This is a WC issue and that is aggravating to deal with...My dr told me that I must have a standing computer desk, so I'm shopping for one now..I'm unemployed (thank you, economy!) and rapidly depleting financial resources ..so it's not a good time..

So if I understand correctly C3-7 would really be a two level fusion?? Is that right?

Thanks so much for any and all responses...
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,617
    to me ... What was your exact MOI (mechanism of injury). Did they say which disc is slipped? Any foraminal stenosis or facet arthropathy? Sounds like an agressive procedure based on what you have told us thus far.

Have they discussed Physical Therapy?, Medication?, Injections? other diagnostics such as EMG?.

These are common steps before discussing surgery.

Let us know!

D
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)
    My Story  - Click below
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/44804/pain/neck-pain-cervical/long-and-winding-road
    I am not a doctor nor have I ever played one on TV.  Therefore any comments made are based on my experience.
  • Basically it is counting the disc. I agree with D that from what you are describing 4 levels if over the top. Not sure of your age, but keep in mind after about age 21 almost every mri is going to show some degeneration. The question is what levels are symptomatic. Also it sounds as though whatever they are doing you are getting better, as the arm pain is getting less. Changing the spine is unlike any other surgery. I am a firm believer in trying conservative treatment and then if all else fails to do surgery. I may further add getting a second opinion is a must when coming down to the spine. I see ppl who spend more time shopping for a vehicle than they do researching spine surgery. After surgery you can't have buyers remorse. They can't undo a fusion. keep us posted on how you are doing. Hopefully conservative treatment will take care of it for you.
  • MOI...repetitive stress syndrome/improper ergonomics for years..probably in concert with being over 40...
    Had PT a few years ago...going for more, but cannot let him/her touch my neck as it caused vertigo the last time.. I have DDD, but a slipped vertebrae, not a slipped disc and it seems that two levels are now unstable... EMG was relatively normal, but I also have carpal and cubital tunnel syndromes..but most worried about the neck and really not wanting to do anything major as I know how life changing it would be..HOwever, I seem to be getting dizzy more often..even if I bend my head back slightly ... I take flexeril upon occasion, but it makes me feel awful..even at 1/2 tab at night..Can't see my earlier posts as I am typing, but not certain if I mentioned that I had a sever attack of vertigo a month ago..Very , very scary...No injections as of yet, as DR says they are for pain and I really don't have too much pain now...just fear around the sliding of my spine and all the things that are wrong with it..

I would definitely get more opinions before proceeding with any cutting...oh, yes..I do have some foraminal narrowing..don't have my tests in front of me to provide more specifics..

Thanks to all for your answers.
  • Hi all, I had a 5 lvl posterior fusion 2 yrs ago. C3-T1. Went to a very well known neurosurgeon and researched him very well via internet. I did and still do trust his judgement on my neck surgery. However, I've had more post surgical pain than prior to surgery.I did have some impingment on the spinal canal and had a very bad fall at home doing a faceplant on the living room rug and had just avoided getting T-boned at and intersection so fate wasn't on my side. I tried to wk for 2 yrs but now im home and getting ready to file for disability.

You might try wearing a cervical collar, not just the foam kind Google neck support and you can find all different types. I would try that to see if you can stabilize your neck and eliminate some of the dizziness. Prior to sgy I had moments where it felt if I just moved a certain way my neck would snap off. Its a weird feeling. The head is very heavy and all the hardware in the world they stick in there doesn't matter when your muscles are in spasm.

Hope this helps.
  • I had a 4 level fusion three weeks ago. Im pretty sure I have tracea/esophagus soft tissue damage. anyone experience this?
advertisement