Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

acdf c5/6 next month

swaynesswayne Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
got my surgery next month so better start gettin ready i guess, got my second pre opp next week due to last one expired (what do they want blood)i will just be glad when its all over and i can move on with my life i feel like ive wrote this year off and my life is on hold its a pain in the neck in more ways than one :))(

• First, let me wish you the best of luck with your surgery, I am having the same surgery on Aug 24. Pre surgical testing should consist of a history, list of medications you take, blood work, EKG and chest x ray. If you have had a chest x ray within 3 months bring it with you, not the report, but the films, so that you don't have to have this again. If you are seeing a doctor at the hospital it will also consist of a physical exam. If you are seeing your own doctor please make the apt. a day or so after the per surg testing so they have all the results infront of them when you have your exam.

I also hope for both of us that we get our lives back, my year has been a write off too!

• I wish you both the best of luck with your surgeries. Updates us when you can. Do you both have an expectation from the doctors for you recoveries.

I agree it feels like I have lost a couple years to the pain. I insist that I won't let the pain take my life from me, my personality, and so on. But the truth is that I feel like I am in a holding pattern, unable to keep up with my life. I can feel my body groan when I am trying to do invoicing for my company and I have to get up and fine some product cost sheet or something. Hence, I find myself with more messes around me and little energy to clean it all up.

I am thrilled for the both of you - many wishes of good outcomes and prayers for a speedy recovery!
  • I would also like to wish you the best of luck regarding your surgery. I had my C5-C6 ACDF done on July 24th. My surgeon did put in a plate. I will have my follow up visit on the 25th. Hopefully he will say that I am healing right on schedule---if not ahead. :-) Although I am getting quite sick of sleeping in the recliner and wearing the cervical collar, it is amazing to have the feeling back on my left side. My left arm and hand had been "dead" for almost 7 weeks. Once I realized I was out of surgery and in my hospital room, I could feel some aching (muscle spasms) in my arm and hand...but I could not feel my left thumb. Over the next few days, the feeling would come and go. My surgeon said we would know at the one year mark if the loss of feeling is permanent. The feeling continued to come and go and now for more than a week, I have had the feeling back.
    Follow your surgeons instructions to the letter.
    I wish you both the absolute best. Please feel free to ask any questions of your doctors and other spineys here.
  • baffled,
    when was your surgery? I'm sorry to hear that you feel as though you have lost many years. Your recovery does not sound very pleasant. I hope and pray that you will begin to feel much better.
  • No surgies as of yet - I am wondering if that is my last ace to play.

thank you for your concern and prayers - it all helps
  • baffled,
    my symptoms snuck up on me. I went from a sharp pain in my left shoulder blade, to a shooting pain and swelling in my arm...and then no feeling whatsoever. I have been treated by who I believe to be the best neurosurgeon, hands down. I had a huge list of questions for him to discuss at my post MRI appointment. He had my films up and we just started at the top and went from there. I believe he has OCD, which can certainly come in handy. :-) He was very willing to answer any and all questions. I was told my options were as follows: have the ACDF or go paralyzed. Well, there was no option. I was scheduled to go into surgery two weeks later. My largest concern is returning to work. I work in retail as a supervisor and am required to lift 50 lbs without help. My job will not take me back if I have restrictions. Thus, I have been looking for backup work...just in case.
    Because I am feeling so good, I hope that I never regret having this procedure done. Yes, things kind of stink now because I can't drive and have to have my kids help me out of the recliner to use the restroom. And my oldest daughter has been the one to shower me. But, if this is the worst result... having to rely on my family for assistance, then absolutely......I am thankful it has been done. Considering the alternative..........
    I am excited about my follow up appointment in 11 days. On the comical side, this surgery has become the diet plan I was hoping for. Not sure how much weight I have lost....but my appetite has been half of what it normally was. And with all the walking I have been doing....
    That is the one thing the doctor told me I could do...and lots of it.
    Get as many opinions as you need. Read alot of the information online. Just remember, no two surgeries and recoveries are going to be exactly the same. Each of us heals differently. I would suggest going into it with a strong and positive attitude.
    Please keep us informed.
  • i dont beleive it ive got pluericy now what a crock have to wait and see what they say at my pre opp on wed,
    thanks for all your replys its great to here from people in the same boat doin well its very calming cheers,
  • Sorry to hear of the setback. Take a deep breath and think positively. I realize that's difficult right now. Ask alot of questions when you go in and keep documenting everything. I'm a firm believer that sites like this are helping....not just us, the patients....but also the medical industry.
    As I said,
    hang in there and good luck with your pre-op.
  • I am sorry that you are having these problems, but was wondering if there was a way for you to prospone pre surgical testing till the week before surgery. I know my own pre surgical testing is tomorrow too, and my surgery is next Monday.....just trying to give you some time to feel better and make sure you are AOK for the surgery.

Take a deep breath, it will all work out ok!
  • cheers guys im feeling better every day so fingers crossed, these sites help so much we would be lost without them il let you all know how i get on tomorrow and goodluck ilene for your pre opp hope it goes ok for you