Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months post op - C5-6 acdf

suz71ssuz71 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi. I am 4 months post op C5-6 acdf surgery. I was hoping by now I'd feel so much better. I am still doing physical therapy and I have been for about 3-4 weeks, 3X's a week.
I am getting frustrated and starting to wonder if it will ever get better. My pt said I have post surgery trauma and that is why my shoulder is in pain. I don't have as much shoulder blade pain as I did before the surgery the pain now is closer to my neck and on the left side. I guess I am just looking for some re-assurance that it will get better. I've been struggling with this pain for way too long. I was just hoping to be one of those people that woke up and instantly the pain was gone!! I guess I'm not so lucky. My primary care doc said my recover may take longer because after the surgery I had multiple pulmonary emboli and a chest/sinus infection.

• Suz,
    I had my neck done as well as my back. Mine got better over time and after awhile it felt just like new. To this day its still better than it was before. It was bad before the surgery, pinches my spinal cord til it was 1/3 of its regular thickness so dont give up hope. My lumber fusion is a whole other story. I'll say a prayer for you.

Christina =)
  • I'm obviously not a medical professional, but it sounds to me as though your pain got your muscles so tensed up that your pain has now traveled to other muscle areas. If your PT thinks is the case (ask), see what he thinks of Graston Technique. I had some major kinks in my upper back and neck following my lumbar surgery -- I think just trying to hold myself "just so" so that I wouldn't fall or hurt myself. I had such major knots in my shoulder blades that I was in a lot of pain. My PT used Graston, which gets the knots out of your muscles by kneading them with metal tools, and my muscles finally let go. I feel so much better. I'm hoping that is all that's bothering you. If it's not and you have other spinal issues, I hope they find a way to help you out.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm still hopeful that I will feel better soon.
  • Linda,
    Thanks for your insight. I will ask my PT about this technique. Boy have you been through alot...and you seem very positive, wow!!

I do feel like it is muscle spasm and not as much a nerve thing as it was prior to surgery. I'm just anxious to move forward!