Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 days post op

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone! I made it through my ALIF and post instrument fusion surgery fine...I did end up with a illus..Today my intestines are still slow and having a very hard time going to the bathroom..

Little concern I have been running a temp 99.5-100.5 for the past few days and today started to have sort of a weird type of headache

Maria :0)
advertisement

Comments

• :H :D
    Great news! Can you take some over the counter medications to get the ole intestines back on track. It's usually the anesthesia and pain meds that cause that issue. As far as the fever, I haven't had surgery so I don't know if it's cause for concern. I'm sure your post op release papers have some instructions as to when to be concerned and call the doctor. Headache could be caused from pain meds also. I know oxy helps my severe pain but gives me a "weird" headache also.

Anyway sending you an angel O:) to watch over you as you recuperate -- sending you well wishes for a complete healing -- take care,

Judy
  • I was fortunate that when I had my surgery the hospital started me on stool softeners right afterwards, and I continued them when I got home. I had already been warned by a friend who had the surgery. Any OTC should take care of it and get you back on track.

Rusty
  • I'm on day 8 too. I can highly recommend prune juice. Two glasses of prune juice each day keeps things moving though you need to drink it quick as it's yucky stuff. I get that headache and my temperature has been up an down too,today is first day without. I think mine were dehydration . Today it's shifted.

• - and it's better COLD - the prune juice that is.

My nurse had me take a dose of Mylanta with one little can of prune juice. She promised relief within 2 hours. She knew her stuff - it did the trick. That was day 9 for me.
  • Pear juice is supposed to be good too. A friend of mine prior to surgery, suggested PP4poopoo, her own recipe, which is a glass of prune juice and a glass of pear juice beside the bed at all times, and keep sipping, alternating. But nothing, not the PP nor the hospital supplied meds did me any good. Then a friend arrived on day 9 with Nulax and it did the trick within the hour. Yiiiiiikes!
advertisement