Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

can I get approved for diability

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I was wanting to know if I can get disability,I was born with spina bifida but I can walk and nuero cratanis melenosis syndrome. I have always had back pain but I was able to work off and on for 2 years. but I have within the last year I found out I have degenerative disc disease. I have 5 deterating disc and I have a compression fracture in my back. The pain has gotten so bad I can't work and it's effecting my life. I can't stand or walk for more than 30 - 45 min tops. I applied 3 years ago and denied. I am only 19 years old and the older I get the worse my back gets. If anybody has any info please it would be helpful thanks

• hmmm...i don't know much, but my sister does and i can ask her. may i ask why you were denied last time and what state u live in?
  • I have heard that a large number of people are turned down on their first try. You should find someone local to represent you when you reapply. That can help a lot.
  • First off, I applaud you for trying to work despite your spina bifida.

Were you on disability as a child?

My advice to you would be this:

If you are unable to engage in any work related activities for a sustained period of time due to the pain, file a claim.

The WORST thing that could happen would be that you are denied. If you are denied, find an attorney in your area who specializes in Social Security Disability and appeal the denial.

Take care, and good luck with whatever you choose to do!
  • as long as you havae medical support that you can't work.you should persist in trying. i am on ssdi. used a social security disability lawyer and got it on the first try. yes you have to pay them but there is a max amt by law that they can get if you win your case. if you lose, they don't get paid.
    so you don't pay the lawyer up front.
  • I tried and got denied twice without legal help. The system is unfortunately set up here in the states to pad the pockets of lawyers. Get a lawyer and keep good records of treatments and daily activities, and alway consult the lawyer before filling out any ssd questionaires/ surveys because they are almost 100% of the time used to DISQUALIFY an applicant. I lost my fiance, my home, and everything I worked hard to get in life due to my spinal condition/not working/ denial of disability.. Once I got it I had to rebuild and start over. Keep trying, You might get it long enough to learn a new skillset where you can work in a way you never thought of before. When one approach fails sometimes you have to look at things differently and try something unorthodox.

Take care and good luck.

• Like the others have said, the majority of people do get denied on their first try. My only experience has been with my own mother. She was denied when she applied due to her heart problems. But she won her case when she re-applied for her depression on appeal with a lawyer. I even had to testify for her. They had to back-pay her for 12 months from the initial application date for depression. Her lawyer did get 1/3rd but she now lives independently and even receives Medicare after receiving disabilty for two years. Its not how I imagined my mom living, but it works. She has her meds taken care of (heart, depression and arthritis) and she has a place to live independently so I'm happy.