Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prednesone dose pack

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Last week my doctor prescribed a 6day dose pack of prednesone because the pain in my neck was getting worse. I finished the last dose 5 days ago.

I'm feeling worse if anything.

The directions say not to take Advil(nsaids). I can't find anything that says for how long I can't take Advil. I did start taking Hydrocodone at night to be able to sleep. (leftover from shoulder surgery)

Anyone with experience with Prednesone?

Of course my doctor didn't return my calls today so now I have to wait until Monday at the earliest to get something else for the pain.

• Don't take- your medi-pak is just the 1st step in pain med treatment. Did mine in may after going to urgent care, then had MRI and xrays. Had surgery wed 8/12. Long Road. Ask for ambien for sleep, or benadryl, or try melantonin (at GNC).
  • Call your pharmacy in the morning and talk with the pharmacist. They can tell you when you can resume taking NSAIDs.
  • Prednesone dose pack or steroids are already anti inflammatories thats why you cant take them. If your doctor isn't available then call your pharmacy they can tell you what is ok to keep taking. I have been on them several times for break through inflammation pain. I got very little relief if any also. I did get rid of a lot of extra inflammation I suppose so I was able to move my neck better. I am afraid I will always be in pain. Whats the matter with your neck?
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hi Short

I was in a car accident (hit from behind at a light) about 4 months ago. The thought pain was just from torn rotator cuff. After that was repaired and healed they did MRI of spine. Still waiting for final answer but they suspect herniated disk at t1-t2 which seems to be kinda strange.

I am getting a bunch of side affects from the prenesone now - like swollen wrists and upset stomach. My doctor didn't return my call on Friday so I am feeling a little abandoned. Pain isn't as bad today(saturday) but I haven't done much either.

I really need to find a spine surgeon in NYC. Any suggestions?
  • Do you still have the paper work that came with the mediciine? I would look at the side effects. If your doctor isn't available call the pharmacy and tell them about your side effects and see what they tell you to do. I was also in a car wreck years ago, thats why I am in my situation as well. Depending on what kind of insurance you have you may need a referral before u can just make a appointment for a orthopedic or neurosurgeron. I would check into that hun.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    is basically a very strong anti-inflamatory. It can be used to help with severe allergy reactions, posion ivy, etc.
    It is normally given with a specific schedule. You start off with a certain amount and then continue that for a couple of days, then reduce the dose, continue for a bit then reduce, etc until none.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks Ron.

I finished my 6 days on the Prednesone a week ago today. I will try my doctor again today. I'm very frustrated by how slow this whole process has been. After 4 months of pain my doctor said two weeks ago that it's probably time to prescribe something.

If I don't get an answer today I will be looking for a new doctor.

Thanks again
  • That's sad how slow this process is. I bet if you say I be finding a new doctor after I leave your office You will see all kinds of help. The doctors don't want to lose any patients because we pay there salary. They have to fill out reports for all the narcotics they prescribe is why they try to avoid giving you those drugs. Good Luck Let us know how it goes when you can. take care.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
  • Well my ortho said it was time for me to see a neuro surgeon. Luckily I got in the next day to see the head of dept at local major hospital. Guess summer is really slow.

Surgeon tells me that my MRI's are really crappy resolution. He doesnt see what the radiologist is talking about for a herniated disk. And even if it is there my symptoms have nothing to do with that.

Now I'm off to a neurologist. Surgeon thinks it's all in my head - literally. Apparently in severe whiplash the nerves inside the skull can be streached causing pain.

Good news is that my original ortho's PA called last night to see how I'm doing. He loves the neurologist that I'm going to next week and took pity on me and prescribed a muscle relaxant in the mean time.

End of story - had my first good nights sleep in weeks.