Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why does Soma have such a bad rap?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:34 AM in Pain Medications
I went to the new PM on Thursday. He, like 2 other Drs (my PCP and prior PM) mentioned he does not like writing for Soma. I explained that it is the only muscle relaxer I have tried (have been on Flexeril, Zanaflex, & Baclofen) that actually works.

He gave me a script for 30 and told me I can only take one at night. I explained that they don't make my tired or drowsy but that is all he wanted me to take.

Anyone else find this strange or know *why* Soma has such a bad rap? I mean, most of the medications we are on are potenially addictive so, what's the deal with Soma?

I have been on and off Soma for almost 2 years and have NEVER had any problems stopping it.

Confused -> Camille @)
advertisement

Comments

• I think it's because the active metabolite of carisoprodol (i.e. Soma) is meprobamate, which is an old-school sedative not much prescribed nowadays due to addiction/abuse potential. It was widely prescribed back in the seventies, along with the barbiturates and drugs like glutethimide and methaqualone. I think some doctors are reluctant to prescribe it in much the same way that some are reluctant to prescribe benzodiazepines (pretty ironic, given that benzos were originally touted as the safer alternative to drugs like meprobamate).
  • My neurologist has no problem with it...In fact that was the first one he ever gave me. And I've tried others since, but this one is the only one that works for me. Amrix works, but it is too expensive for me.

I am beginning to wonder if it is working against me these days. My doctor says I can take three...But I am trying to now go for two a day and just cut it up in halves to spread it out...

Lawd I'm just tired of taking meds.
  • its because it potentiates opiates (makes them stronger) and when taken with a med that can give a high or a buzz, such as a couple norcos, it greatly increases the strength of said feeling. Docs shy away from Rx'ing Soma with any pain meds or in pain settings for this reason. Also, some have a false impression that it has terrible effects on your liver, which it does not. Lastly, meprobromate is one of the metabolites, but that has nothing to do with their concern. It is a shedule 4 (low) med and not considered to have any significant abuse potential.

Cheers

JWM
  • Thanks for all the comments.

I am still baffled though. Almost any of the meds we are given can have the same effect (cross liver or kidneys, intensify affect when combined, or are old school types).

I guess I am looking for that one HUGE horrific problem with it. Like it will dry up all your blood or csf.

Because without some major concern, I have just scoff at the Drs reaction and say "I don't care if *you* like it, it works for me!"

If drinking 50 gallons of orange juice a day would help, I would do it. It smoking dirt would help, I would do it.
    That's where the pain has put me now. I am beyond desperate! I will try anything and do anything I have to. I want my *life* back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frustrated -> Camille X(
advertisement