Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

karenlkkarenl Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I have been diagnosed with multi level degenerative disc disease, spinal stenos, sciatica of the right side and bursitis of the right hip.The nerves are L1,L2,L3,L4,L5,S1,S2. This has been going on since April 09. I have had 2 epidural steroid injections in my lower lumbar, and a cortisone shot in my hip between the lumbar injections. I have had some relief, but when I increase my activity the pain returns. The pain runs down my buttock, front and back of leg then hits my foot and causes great swelling in the ankle and the top and side of foot. I have lost the feeling on the outside of my foot and often have cramps on the bottom of foot with burning. When the pain makes it down to the foot area I can not walk or drive. Dr's don't seem to know why the foot swells so much.

• Last year when my injury happened my foot was so swollen I could blanch it with my finger and the dent would stay so long. I started using a recumbent bicycle with Drs permission and the swelling went down. It's just awful to get the shoe on with your foot so swollen. I tried ice & heat alternating several times a day to relieve the pain. Are you on any meds like lyrica or neurontoin? I take lyrica & Cymbalta and 5 epidurals with a lot of relief for the foot tingling, numbness and pain. I hope you're Dr is doing the works for you. Bone scan, xray? I have arthritis all over and in both feet and knees. It seemed once the back problems started my whole body seemed to become arthritic in all my joints. I hope you have a referral to the OrthoSurgeon or NeuroSurgeon. I use a cane to take the pressure off the foot when walking. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Sorry to hear about your pain. The pain down the front of your leg is probably from stenosis in L3/L4 which is connected the the Vastus Lateralis muscles and that is normally like a strong stinging pain in those muscles. The lower spinal areas are likely the ones causing the sciatic pain through your buttocks and down your legs to your feet and is also likely causing the numbness in your legs and foot.

I had very similar problems to you prior to my surgery and my doc did not know why my foot was swollen either. However it certainly was swollen and I could not get a shoe on sometimes. I reached a point similar to you, where I could not even stand up after about 5 minutes of walking or standing.

I tried putting my legs up above my heart for a while before I needed to stand up but that did not help either and nothing else I tried did any good.

All that I can tell you is that since my surgery all that has gone away including the swelling so it must, in my view, be connected to the stenosis and the sciatica.

Sorry I can't be of any more help to you save to say that I trust that you will tell your pain management doc about your problems to see what he suggests for you next.

Take Care

John B
  • Are you taking any medications for the sciatic pain?

I doubt it is the swelling that keeps you from driving, etc. but the pain from the nerve compression itself.

I have some swelling in my right foot, some times worse than others. My surgeons seem rather disinterested and are not alarmed by it. It got much worse when I was taking gabapentin and then Lyrica so I no longer take either.

Has you doctor talking with you about having surgery?
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you might talk to your doctor about the nerve pain medications out for sciatica! :-C they can be a big help.. =D> good luck as you seek pain relief! :D jenny :)