Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post ACDF of C6 & C7 July 31st

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone I am at the 2 week post surgery mark. I suffered over a year with neck pain, headaches, Pain and numbness in my left arm and fingers. I had my sugery on July 31st 2009. I had donor bone and hardware. My NS wanted me turning my head as soon as I woke up. He only has you wear a soft coller when you are in the vehicle. I had no driving and no lifting heavier than a coffee cup for 2 weeks not the nurse pract. that came in to discharge me said for 4 weeks. So I have have only done light lifting like my plate and light containers of food. ( when I am home alone and don't have anyone to help) I got the closest to my mile walk this am. My dr. wants me walking a mile a day. I was walking 2 -3 times a day walking a half to close to a half a mile a day. This am I felt really good so I may have gotten closer to 1 mile. I did not want to push it more. I really miss walking. Before I started having so much pain I was walking 3 or more miles a day last summer.
I only have a week left of paid sick time. I want to call my dr. and see if I can go back Thursday and Friday half days. Then start full time the following Monday. I do not go back to the dr. till Sept. 1st. He knew I wanted to go back at 4 weeks and said I should probably be able to. I am 39 and work at the court house in the tax assessors office. I sit at a desk and computer all day. So I do not have heavy lifting. I have helped with the laundry a little. I will walk one towel at a time to the wahser. And then when it is done throw one item at a time in the dryer.
I really have not had any complications post surgery. I do get tired more easily. I get muscle spasams occ. in my shoulders now. Other than that as soon as I woke up my headache was gone and the pain in my fingers was gone. It was amazing. I am glad I had this done.
Any advice or suggestions on helping heal.

• It's GREAT when you can feel an immediate relief post-op!

Good luck on the continued success and, just my humble opinion, make sure you talk to the NS before going back to work and do take it very very easy!

Best of luck!
  • Thanks dear. I will be calling my dr. Monday. I may not feel up to it. Some days I do. Some days I don't. I am hurtting this afternoon. I had a great morning. Now I am hurtting in the back of my neck and shoulders. I took my first pain pill of the day just a few minutes ago.