Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posture, Unable to stand straight after fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
On July 2 2009 I had a spinal fusion of S 1 to T 10. It was a 6 hour procedure and has left me with sciatic in both right and left buttocks radiating down the leg. Most troublesome is the fact that I can not stand up straight. I have been having a PT come here to the house 2-3 times a week but I feel I am stooping more each day. HELP!!!!

• you have just had major surgery, take time to adjust and deal with each day as it comes,in a few months you should be able to look back and think i couldn't do that a few months ago, it takes a long time to heal, you have had such a trauma to your body but you can get through this, please stay positive, keep thinking I WILL GET BETTER, I AM GETTING BETTER, keep coming here and feel the good thoughts people will send you, you can get through this with everyone on your side >:D<
  • Hi Shirely,
    I was the same for almost a month and was bent backwards as it was to painful to straighten up ...the physio at the hospital said did you always walk like that lol...but each day there was a little improvement and I realised I could not do that a while ago...getting some hydro therapy and massage now...they said it will take at least a year before I am anything like before the op...its a slow rehab but it was invasive surgery..

Laminectomy and mass fussion of C4 to C7
  • What does your PT think about the problems you're having standing upright? Are you using a walker for walking? How much are you able to walk?

While it doesn't seem like it to you, you are very early in your recovery. You have had a very big, traumatic surgery. If you ever talk to someone (non-medical) who has watched a fusion surgery you will find that they are very surprised at the amount of force that is used during surgery -- it truly is a traumatic assault on the spine. My PT came away thinking it was amazing that even one spinal lumbar fusion turned out well, and that nerve damage was not far more common from the surgical procedure itself. My point is that you have been through a lot and it will take a long time to complete the healing process. Along the road you will need to develop a great deal of patience.

I hope that everything you are going through now is just part of the normal healing process. I can't quite remember, but I think I couldn't begin to stand up straight until after the first three weeks -- AND, I only had one level fused. Be careful with PT at this early point. Don't let her/him push you to do too much. For now and for the next six weeks, walking is the most valuable activity you can do. Distance is not important. It is better to walk several times each day, to get fresh, oxygenated blood flowing to the spine, and all the toxic waste flowing away from the surgical site. Walking is also the best activity for stretching out the spinal nerves.

Please post often with your comments, questions and concerns. There are many generous people on the board who will be happy to share their experiences, knowledge and compassion.

Take good care,
  • Thanks for your comments. I am impatient and just want to stand straight. I think I overdid the exercises yesterday because I didn't sleep because both sides of my buttocks hurt down both legs. I will ease up and walk. I do best with the walker because I can makes myself stand up straight. Off I go.
  • Just wondered how you are doing by now? You really did have a BIG surgery--I kind of glossed over how many levels you had fused when I first read your post.

Hope you're being careful and not doing too much. It is difficult to find that neutral zone where you're doing just enough to nudge forward without overdoing it and having a bit of a flare up.

I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and hoping that each day brings you a little closer to being healed.