Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Afraid to have back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I am an otherwise fit and healthy 33 year old suffering from osteoarthritis of the lower spine. It has been getting progressively worse and I was referred to a neurosurgeon who has recommended I have a spinal fusion. He is highly respected in his field and I have no doubt he will do a good job but I am so scared at the thought. On days like yesterday where I could barely walk I was determined to have the operation but then I have days where the pain eases off and I think that I would be crazy to subject myself to back surgery. I have been thinking of taking up yoga to help me but I don't think this will be a cure-all. I would love to hear from others who have had similar experiences or concerns.

• Do you have the means to get a second opinion? It's a tough decision to make when the pain drops back down to a manageable level and very easy, in fact almost too easy to make when the pain is acute. Did you ask your doc what your risk of permanent nerve damage would be if you avoided surgery at the moment?

I am a firm believer in Yoga, especially for core strength and meditation, but that's something you should run past your doc first.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you suffering from pain.. ~X( Yoga is a great alternative but you have to be careful with your movements.. of course a second opinion is always valuable!! =D> good luck and keep us informed! :D Jenny :)
  • "C" is right - it's always wise to get a second opinion. Surgeons almost always will try conservative methods before they suggest surgery unless, like me, surgery is inevitable and anything else would just be a bandaid.

If your surgeon is at the point of suggesting surgery, then you really have to take that into consideration.

Like "C" said, it is a tough decision when the pain levels go down, but doesn't mean that surgery isn't necessary. I know the thought of surgery is scary, but sometimes it needs to happen before the nerve damage is permanent.

Take care.