Some history first
- diagnosed basically 10 years ago with bulging lumbar disk causing numbness and mild pain in left thigh.
- Carried on basically 8 years without much care in the world.
- started getting VERY painful "pins and needles" in both legs in about 2007...like...really....long...pins...far...apart (maybe someone has me as a voodoo doll!)
- early 2008 started getting same numbness, more pain, same "need to itch" sensation in right leg as left, but got worse than left pretty quickly.
- started getting shooting pain now and then in right and left thighs, relatively more low back pain, still constant numbness in outer thighs.
- Started getting arch cramps and toes getting locked or spreading out.
- shooting pain and discomfort worst while lying down and standing up (esp after sitting).
- in Dec 2008, spontaneous herniation of C56 and C67, with cord compression so introduced "electric shock" sensations and muscle twitches and lots of arm issues. My neck clearly had DDD (diagnosed in 11/2008)
- ACDF 2/5/09...but still have upper back and left arm pain, electric shock and muscle twitches (a bit improved). Thigh symptoms still very persistent.
- Lost my voice from ACDF and have had a medialization laryngoplasty (injection) to restore some (july 09)
- requested a lumbar and thoracic MRI, but radiologist report said no issue. Neurosurgeon just looked at radiologist report and dismissed, said go to neurologist.
- Neurologist looked at report, started looking at films but computer froze so that was it. Put me on neurontin 3X 3X day. This has helped with some shooting pains and arch cramps but some setting back in. Neurontin did not the numbness or neuropathy (pain upon touch, itching) in the thighs.
- can disrupt sleep and be quite upsetting (esp if it starts itching which I can't "satisfy" and it is numb and hurts all at the same time).
- Upper mid back between shoulder blades also constantly aching.
OK, sorry for that
I don't know what to do anymore. I think it would help if I KNEW someone with this expertise LOOKED at the MRIs before just following the radiologist report. I was diagnosed with the bulging disk, had the symptoms continuously for years...now much worse and in both legs. What's the deal?
I should add there is a maternal history of adult onset spinal issues. My mom had scoliosis develop and rapidly progress in her 60s, then cervical stenosis and fusion, etc. Maternal grandmother also likely had issues. So I'm real nervous seeing symptoms in my mid 30s now.
Does anyone have similar leg symptoms or progression and if so, what were you diagnosed with? Were there tests that help diagnose it?
I need to go back to neurologist. I want to have a baby at some point and don't want to be on neurontin
But I am quite depressed about things overall.
I would appreciate your thoughts very very much.