Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op have been good till this afternoon Any ideas

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Friday was 2 weeks post ACDF with donor bone and hardware at c6 & c7. I woke up fine. I went for my walk as normal this morning. No problems. About 2 hrs ago I started getting more pain in the back of my neck and headache. I took a lortab 7.5 & a flexeril 10 mg. I ended up vomiting about 30 min ago. I have not done anything today. No lifting of anything. Just walked, took a bath, then have been on the couch all day. I am also having some tingling in my fingers on the left side.( this is the side that was affected before surgery, The pain was completely gone after surgery. I have had a few twings in them every now and then. The dr. said this would happen. But I am worried about the pain and the headache.. Please someone tell me this is normal.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had alot of pain following my surgery and was worried just as you are. My surgeon did x-rays to verify my hardware was where it should be (thank god it was) and told me I needed to give myself more time to heal. For peace of mind and to be on the safe side I would call the surgeon tomorrow and tell them what is going on. Have you checked to see if you have a fever?
  • Susan, I did not have this much pain since I got home. I just checked no fever. Just nauseated with a bad headache and neck still hurting really bad. I have had ice packs on my neck and head for a few hours. Don't know if it was maybe the pain med that made me so nauseated or the pain.I can take another pain pill. Anyway I will call tomorrow. Bad thing is my dr. is an hour and a half away from me. We have no NS in my town. I can get my family dr. to do x rays tomorrow at their office if needed.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Is there a hospital close to you if it gets bad enough?
    If this is all new I would be getting it checked. You could call the medical society and have your surgeon call you. At least it might give you some peace of mind. Stress will make the pain worse and I am sure this has you worried. Let me know what happens and good luck
  • In most cases, when the surgeon completes the surgery and closes you up, they put in a large dosage of antibiotics and steroid. This is to help the wound heal without infection and it gets the patient over the very worst of the surgical pain. It generally wears off by about ten days to two weeks, depending on patient's metabolism, how much was given, etc.

If you check the various threads, you will see that it is very common for people to feel they are doing well up until the two week mark, and then they "suddenly" feel worse and wonder what is going on. There is usually a marked increase in pain and all the varying symptoms that are associated with that. This may be what is going on with you, too.

Call your surgeon to check, but I bet you will gradually start feeling better as the week goes on.
  • Thanks. I am feeling a little better. Hubby said lets go walk a short distance. Haha as he said my head did not wobble off. The headache is gone. Just neck pain still. So I will call tomorrow. I guess it is you bodies way of slapping you back to reality.
  • I had surgery on C4-5 5-6 on March 13th. Then on July 23rd. I had surgery on L5 Sl, I still have some problems and aches in the top of my neck all the way down to my shoulders. But It is getting better each day.

About a week before my back surgery, I began to have really bad headches again and when I went to see my doctor, he said it was from stress from the up coming surgery. He was right!. After the back surgery, I have not had the headaches since, just the aches still.

So you need to call your doctor to make sure nothing else is going on and to relieve your mind.

• I just wanted to let you all know I am doing Good. I think I was having terrible muscle spasams. The headache and spasams are getting better. Today I walked over a mile this morning and again just now. My NS said I can go to work half a day Thursday and Friday. If I am feeling up to it. Then I can start full time Monday if I am up to it as well. This Friday will be 3 weeks post surg. He said I should not sit long. So I will get up and walk around often.
    Hope everyone else is having a good night.
  • hooray :) glad your feeling better.