Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post 2-level ACDF w/plate --

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm Lynn. I had 2 level ACDF w/plate on 6/30/09. I have had a good recovery so far. After my 2 week follow up I was given a cervical bone stim to wear 4 hours per day.

My main question now is when I am released from wearing the Miami-J collar; how long until I am able to drive?

My other question concerns PT -- it seems that some people with the same surgery do not have PT and some have 8 wks of PT.

Thanks for any answers!!

• I can't help you with the question about driving as my problems are lumbar. But I can tell you that each surgeon has an opinion regarding physical therapy and opinions vary greatly. One of my surgeons regards it as so important that he hired his own PT and has him right there in his suite of offices. He wants to be sure that what he wants done, is done correctly and exactly as he wants it done. The surgeon that did my fusion left it entirely up to me if I wanted to go to PT, or not. He was happy to write the prescription for me so insurance would cover it, but he did not offer me an opinion on whether I should do it, or not.

When a friend of mine in another city had the same surgery, her surgeon said he had seen too many cases where PT caused more problems than it solved, and he was very ambivalent about sending her to PT.

So I guess you should ask your surgeon and see what his procedures are with his patients. But don't be alarmed if what he tells you is different from what you read here or elsewhere, or what happened with a friend. It is very much an individual thing.
  • i was driving right after the collar came off. as for pt i dint have any. i started walking from day one of surgery. but at around 10 weeks i started a real light routine of 10-15 lbs. doing mostly shoulder and arm reps. it helped with the stiffness. since i took it slow to recover i think my recovery was a big success.if i had jumped right in working out hard i would have screwed things up. for the first 10 weeks i just sat back relaxed and healed other than the walking . so take it slow.
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Take a look in the neck pain forum and you may find some other very useful post. I was free to drive once the surgeon released me from the miami J collar. don't be surprised or think anything is wrong after the miami j is removed and you are in more pain. It takes sometime for the muscles to loosen up after being in one. When they say you can stop wearing it you may want to wean out of it. Now as far as the pt the others are so correct each surgeon has a different view on it, and if further depends on your healing process. Please make sure you wear the bone growth stimulator it is so important, to aid in a successful fusion. The revision surgery is not as easy and much harder to recover from, so you want to avoid that at all cost. As far as the Pt goes it will be based on your surgeons view of your recovery. As cliffy stated walk and walk some more. You can google walking programs and find some really good ones to follow, that start out easy and are measurable obtainable goals. After my surgery, the surgeon gave me a walking program he wanted followed. As someone who worked all the time, I learned so much about neighborhood it was amazing.

Anyway just wanted to stop by and welcome you to spine-health and look forward to reading more of your post. Take care.