Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trouble above and below c5 c6 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone had problems years later after having c5 c6 fusion just had new mri,it report says post operative changes at c5-6 ,spinal stenosis at c5-6 and c6-7, this is related to posterior changes, as well as mild disc bulge/spur complex.
neural foraminal stenosis at multiple levels.
any Ideas as to what will have to be done?
Iam having bad pain in shoulder area, neck and down left arm
Please some help. Ken

• did you have a donor bone or was it a artificial disc u had put in?
  • I had my own bone used for the fusion,why?
  • i had a artificial disc put in at c5 -c6 in 2007 couple months ago had pain and numbness come back justhad a nother mri done and it said i had large bone spurs on c5 c6 and severe narrowing of the left neural foramen i am going to go see a ns on sept 1st to see what needs to be done soounds like we are in the same boat
  • Boy you are right, what type of pain came back? I have pain in my shoulder blade my left arm and my fingers. Have you tried any other options yet? Ken
  • my shoulder is sore and burns, my whole left arm is numb and tingles from top to my fingers, i take nerve meds for it until they can due surgery, i take lyrica noratryptoline, valium and fentannyl patch 4 pain. i just try not to use it to much i do streching exercises and just kinda take it easy.
  • Wow it sounds like we are traveling tne same road,even up to most of the same meds,my arm hurts most of the time,did you have hardware installed?
  • ya i had a device called secure c made by globus put in instead of bone.
  • My problems didn't start years later, they started about 1 year later. I had cadaver bone, with titanium plate and screws. A MRI a year later showed another bulging disc, above the fusion, with moderate to severe foraminal stenosis. (see sig below for complete details). I have an extreme amount of pain in neck, shoulders, scapula, etc, as well as numbness in fingers. I would love to hear what your ns recommends. I have put off going back to my ns, as I can't afford it. Being a widow, I am my sole support. I'm waiting for Camelot, where it only rains after sundown, free health care for all, and all the money we need.....Oh, and I also have a bridge for sale =)) . I wasn't told until after my surgery, that further surgery is usually the norm. Good luck, and God bless.

• Well another day another BS answer from the NS office,still no answer if this neuro will take a look at my case, so just another day in pain. Ken
  • is it your insurance having the issue or is it your pcp wont give you a referal?
  • My PCP is in such a large group that I cannot get in to see her until december or jan 2010 and then I would have to stay with who they refer me to, I want to see a top rated nero in my state. While I was waiting for a heart doc I had a milded stroke and decieded to do the er route and by pass the group and any need for a referal or any ins. problems, once in the system I picked the heart doc I wanted passed the system and got my need stents put in paid in full by the ins co, if I have to I will do the same thing with this problem, all I need to know when the doc I know is on call, but I will try to do the office vist route first, but I am going to try to do it without referal Ken
  • Tell me what happends. This is too much like what I am going through. I am taking muscle relaxents at night, but it really doesnt help.
  • In 2006 I had a multi-level cervical fusion with corpectomy. C4 to C6 and corpectomy was at C5. fast forward to January 2009 and all my symptoms came back plus a few more. had every dianostic test done. I have a bone spur at C3/C4 level and at the C7 level with neural foraminal stenosis at multiple levels. Which is scar tissue I was told. June 9th had a posterior Laminectomy at C3/C4 nerve area after a dianostic spinal injection to see if that shot took my pain away. It did so I had the surgery. I am still recovering from this operation. I just had my 8 week post op appointment last week. My surgeon says it will take a year for me to feel normal again.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Well I could not believe it, got a call from the neuros office today and I guess fron my mri results they are giving me an appointment with a new neuro on staff this coming monday at 8;30 am I can not believe it, the stars must have been it the right positions or something OKKKKKKKKKKKKK lets see what they think is wrong, I AM SO HAPPY KEN
  • My doctor has the bedside manner of a pit bull. He told me right up front that the discs above and below will be challenged and that further surgeries are likely. I just hope it stops at the cervical spine and doesn't travel down.

I plan on working with a PT to see what I can do to push off or lessen the chance of further surgery. I hope that if I do need surgery they can use a replacement disc. I had a 3 level fusion and they only allow one level for replacement.

Good luck. I hope it all turns out well.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My cervical issues began with c5-6. Had a fusion. following year had another fusion. Then the following year after that had another fusion. Then go forward a few years and had 3 level fusion with c5-6 corpectomy. I am currently in the recovery period of this last surgery(6 weeks posy-op). So it appears that most of us required multiple surgeries. Hopefully for you Ken there will be other options to relieve your pain. I had previously told my surgeon that he would never operate again (I have also had 2 lumbar surgeries,bringing the surgery count to 6) but I ran into the issue of broken plate and screws and did not have a choice for the consequences were too great. Good luck