Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hard lump near the insicion

MLT01MMLT01 Posts: 172
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I'm 12 days post op of my ALIF and Posterior instrumentation fusion on my L4-L5.. I had a very bad night last night with muscles spasms in my low back area. I noticed this morning a hard lump near the incision site!!!

Has anyone have this happen to them and what was it??

• Sorry you're having so much pain. If you are concerned about that lump near your incision, I would contact your surgeon's nurse for advice.

Best wishes to you,

• It is hard to say exactly what that lump might be, but one of the possibilities is that the posterior hardware may have slipped out of place, and be pushing up under the skin.

I agree with Marianne, you need to call your surgeon, and get in to have him look at it, and maybe get an x-ray to check the position of the hardware.

Good Luck
  • I'm not sure if I'd call mine a lump or not, but the site of my ALIF incision is very hard. I was told to massage it with Vitamin E, so I've begun to try that. I hope that you can get the answer to your problem soon, and I'm concerned about the muscle spasms. Did your surgeon mention that you might have spasms as a side effect?

• Hi Thanks for your response...No he didn't mention about the awful spasms...the lump is on the back were he put the instruments in...This recovery is harder than I thought..