I will try my best to keep this short. Had my PREOP last week for L5/S1 TLIF due to spondylolesthesis (grade 1 according to surgeon/grade 2 according to radiologist) and disc herniation and bulge at L5. The surgeon stopped in after the PREOP staff asked a bunch of questions to discuss my MRI results and talk about my pain levels - which I said were btwn 2 and 4. My surgeon said that my spondy was stable, he believed my disc had probably degenerated to the point where it has hardened over and shouldn't degenerate further and that he didn't feel I had any permanent nerve damage. He then went on to say that he didn't think it would be UNREASONABLE to give my back a little more time and PT to get better. After asking a few more questions I headed back over to the PT section to schedule aqua therapy and graston. He did say that he had no problem putting me back on the schedule if the PT didn't deliver meaningful results.
I am now wondering if this was the correct decision - I keep second guessing myself as I continue to read some posts. There is some nerve compression because I do get painful spasms on occassion as well as some tingling and numbness. I am obviously not qualified to second guess the surgeon's comments, but I have read postings where people were told to give it more time and the nerves were compressed for too long so they have permanant damage. My injury is almost a year old and I wonder - isn't that enough time? Anyone out there have a similiar experience and get better? Anyone told to wait it out a little longer and now regret the outcome of surgury?
I appreciate your time and wish everyone that is recovering from surgery or dealing pain all the best.