Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck muscle spasm & ripping noise

paradiddlepparadiddle Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I don't how else to describe this. On my right side of neck around SCM area I have a knot that has been there since my MVA. I can stretch it out the SCM and I usually getting a noise like ripping or cracking sound. I can tell that I am in a mild spasm before hand. Only on that side and all the time. Usually in the am. This is not confused with a vertabrae pop sound.

Has anyone else ever had that?

• I just said your name a couple of times because it's fun. Rolls right off the tongue. LOL

Anyway, what is the SCM?

• SCM = Sternocleidomastoid muscle

paradiddle = a drum rudiment RLRR or right/left/right/right followed by the opposite LRLL

when drumming it's like a choo choo train effect ( par-a-did-dle, par-a-did-dle etc. )

• Interesting. Thanks for the link. I have a lump on my left side in the middle and above the middle. My PT gal said it indicated a problem with my C1/2 that has been there for a long time and it doesn't cause me any problems.

I do no, however, have a ripping noise, just the crackling in my spine at the base of my neck when I move my head.

I hope someone else come on and can help you or at least relate.

I think my hubby would've known about the paradiddle because he's a drummer also.

Take care.
  • I think my knot is a trigger point. I had one doc do trigger point injections a couple of years ago with no luck. My current pain med doc won't do it because its too close to corotid artery.

I used to know this polish doc in NH that was a trigger point wiz with the needle. He was able to find all the knots in my upper thigh/quads and fix them after/knee acl injury. He taught me alot about trigger points. how the muscle, when in spasm, wants to stay in spasm and how to kick it back to the relaxed position with needling the trigger point.

anyway i try to break up the knot all the time but I think it goes back to a knot. When I stress i always put my neck muscles in tension and I'm sure that messes up my knot. The neck muscles are always being used compared to other muscles and it's hard to get spasms out. Todays computer work and bad postures adds to my problems. I had to give up full time programming as I can't stay in front of a computer through a whole work day.

I just found it weird that the muscle makes that noise when I stretch. I can't stretch that far post 3 level acdf anyway. It feels better and looser after wards for awhile.