Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 weeks post op from L5-S1 fusion - Update

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I can't believe the surgery was 8 weeks ago! I can't wait until 3 months when I am allowed to work out again! I finally had my post op appt at 6 weeks. Nothing exciting, the nurse said the x-ray looked fine - got to see the hardware in my spine for the first time - I go back in Dec and maybe we will see bone growth by then.

I did finally see the reports from the x-ray done at pre-op and the x-ray done at 6 weeks post-op. They were depressing as they said "multi-level facet disease" and "multi-level DDD with worst being at L5/S1."

So.... what does that mean for my future?? More fusions down the road???

I am trying to lose the extra 50 pounds that I have - but it is soooo hard. I know it will help keep the next surgery away longer than if I have to carry around an extra 50.

My pain is better in some ways. I can feel my facets grinding together all the way up my spine and I "crack" my back often to relieve the pressure and it makes a lot of popping noises all the way but does help keep things moving and hence less pain.

My pain is better in the one area of the fusion but still there to some degree and I still have pain in other areas.

I am still taking Oxycontin 10 mg. approx. 3X per day although today, I managed with just 20 mg so maybe I am ready to try to cut back again! I still have a ton of muscle spasms throughout my back, hips, legs, and arms. I take Flexeril and some other muscle relaxers.

I was having these HUGE twitches at night while sleeping that would wake me in terrible pain. I am taking Magnesium and Mirapex (used for Restless Leg Syndrome) and it has made a huge difference. I still have an occasional twitch but not as bad.

How are my surgery buddies doing?

• you are very early in your recovery. I am eight months from a 2 level plif and it took till 6 months until it really started showing anything. Dont get discouraged. Everyone heals at different rates. My surgeon told me 6 months to a year or longer. Be paitient and have faith. It is a long recovery and at times it seems like it moves to slow. But when I started it went alot faster. Hang in there and good luck. We are rooting for ya!
  • I think you're doing well as expected at this time of your recovery. It's going to be long and sometimes difficult but hopefully you'll see better days. Just be careful and don't overdo things and you should be fine. I understand how scary it looks to see those x-ray results. I have a lot of facet arthritis and severe DDD in L4-S1 too so I know how it goes. Anyway, I wish I did as well as you during my recovery but I ran into other troubles. Well, I hope you continue to improve and get to feeling a whole lot better. Take care >:D<
  • Hi Lynne :)))

Thanks for letting us know how you're going.

I bet you're dying to get back to exercising again, but please please take it easy. I had decompression surgery last year, and I believe the surgeon started me on a full exercise program too early and I injured myself. I'm now scheduled for an ALIF in October and possibly microsurgery after that.

That's good to know about the Magnesium - must add that to the list.

I lost about 45 pounds last year - just slowly at about 1-2 pounds a week. When I thought I could cope with the stress of losing weight, then the new way of eating became easy. I bought in prepared meals so that I could learn what my meal portions would be once I started cooking again. I've been able to maintain my weight for nearly 12 months. I make sure I don't buy foods that I will be tempted with - like chocolate =P~ I'm sure you'll win this challenge too when it's the right time for you. Just concentrate on recovering from your surgery.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008