Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HollieSterling38HollieSterling38 Posts: 390
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Chronic Pain
Just want to take a moment and apologize for the way my forum fell apart.
And for being taken and taken comments the wrong way.
I am really glad to find this place and people like me.
I want to b a part of this place and inform people to really listen, take notes,
and research hard before they have an scs.
I did not have that oppurtunity before I did.
Read all the PROS and CONS!!!!
Don't be afraid to to ask as many questions as u can.
There are many people here with both sides.

Again my apologies to all!!!!!

• Holly - I read yesturdays post, and the thing that is missed here in Internet Land, is the smile on my face and the warm feelings toward all. It does not translate across this medium.

Cheers to you! Hope things are better -David
  • Holly,

You should seriously seek a second opinion from another Doctor in regards to your SCS (preferably someone with lots of experience). Maybe you can get the device adjusted so that you can get the relief you first got when it was implanted.

Just a thought.

• I will. I'm going back to pm 25th.
    I just know something is wrong.
    Like I said yesterday about popcorn in microwave..
    I called the dr and rep when that happened and
    They both told me it was safe to use microwave and they never heard of such.
    I can cook anything In mw but popcorn and when I do I feel a pull where my box is
    and everytime the bag will almost catch on fire. And I'm not standin close.
    It doesn't if I go stand outside.
  • They both told me the leads can't move.
    I had this put in a yr ago and they have never
    done another xray to check things out.
    Can they tell from their programming device
    if something is wrong?
  • You need a new Doctor. From everything I have read, lead migration is one of the most common problems that can occur. They should be ablt to tell if they have with a simple xray. It's also possible that the IPG has shifted in your side making it uncomfortable.

I'd hate to see someone give up on something that provided help initially. Being you were your docs first, I'd look for more answers.

• Dave, I wanted to ask you about one of the drugs that you mentioned in yesterday's marathon. I have tried Lyrica, Cymbalta, Topomax, and Neurontin. I've not heard of Sevella. I experienced severe weight gain with the Lyrica, and swelling with Neurontin. Do you know if Sevella has dubious side effects? I'm still taking Cymbalta, but came off of the Topomax as it was prescribed for headaches. Perhaps I should try it again.

• I'm most definitely will get a second opinion.
    But I'm gonna go back one more time to see whatelse they
    are gonna say. After everything I have read here,I'm real curious what they will say.

• How is it when you go to recharge your IPG? Do you have any problems? How long does it take to charge? How long does the charge last?

Yes they can look for lead migration with x-ray and also run diagnostics with their equipment to see if you have any hardware or software problems.

Lead migration is generally not a big issue after the first couple of months. The leads will scar in and it will be virtually impossible for them to migrate after that time. Since you are a year out from the initial implantation, chances of lead migration are very very slim unless you did something to pull the anchors out and the lead.

• Savella (http://www.savella.com/) was approved this year in February for Fibromyalgia by the FDA. I personally do not have Fibro, I have Arachnoiditis (L5-S1 area). According to my Doctor, it's in the same class of drugs as Cymbalta. I know the side effects that I have so far are very different than when I took Cymbalta (that was one nasty drug for me). I'm only experiencing 2 side effects right now. My BP is slightly elevated and I'm peeing more. I have 2 of the conditions (High Blood Pressure and an Enlarged Prostate) that the label warns that you need additional monitoring for.

I'm very sensitive to these drugs used for nerve pain. So far, I have tolerated Savella fairly well. I've only been taking it for 2 weeks, so I'm still early and its one of those drugs you have to build up in your system. It's currently doing nothing for me, but I'm prepared to give a chance.

rftallent said:

Dave, I wanted to ask you about one of the drugs that you mentioned in yesterday's marathon. I have tried Lyrica, Cymbalta, Topomax, and Neurontin. I've not heard of Sevella. I experienced severe weight gain with the Lyrica, and swelling with Neurontin. Do you know if Sevella has dubious side effects? I'm still taking Cymbalta, but came off of the Topomax as it was prescribed for headaches. Perhaps I should try it again.

• Thank you Dave. I don't have a prostate (female), but I'm taking Diovan for high blood pressure. Your post reminds me of different we all are. I don't have any problems at all with Cymbalta. So far, the Neurontin has been the worst. By bedtime my ankles are so swollen my toes look like little sausages. I just noticed the problem when my doctor doubled the dosage. I've gone back to the original dose, but so far I still have the swelling. The Lyrica worked well, but I didn't need to gain 30 lbs. Maybe that's why my toes look like sausages. LOL! I have a doctor's appt. Thursday, so I'm going to look into the Savella and discuss it with my doctor. I do have fibromyalgia, so it might help me.

Thank you,

• Takes forever,at least a couple of hours.
    It's very uncomfortable and charge last a long time cuz I'm not using it.
    Like I said before.. My torso is very short and the box lays on my bottom 2ribs and right at the top of my hip. I know I'm deformed... LOL
    There is literally less than 3in. between my hip and ribs.
    That another reason I'm thinkin there is more than this causin problems
    than the dr just haven't figured out.
    Thinkin bout having primary dr to look into maybe somekind of
    gentical testing or something too.
    They haven't yet so maybe I should push harder for more answers.
  • HollySterling38, I apologize for hijacking your thread. I will move my prescription questions to a new one.

• Not here to jab or b jabbed.
  • Mine isn't a stick pad....it a round bulky thing that's about 4in.
    In diameter.
    And yes, 2hrs to charge and maybe it took that long cuz the
    battery was DEAD.????
    I'm glad I'm here on this sight and as soon as I can call medtronic here in a few I will let u know exactly what I have in me.
    I resently moved so I don't have evrything in front of me.
    But I have the # to call & model# on my card they gave me to carry around with me
    I will b sure to let u know if u want to come back later to c.

• I read your other post to get an understanding of all that has happened with you. I'm sorry the SCS isn't helping you like you expected. I went through only a trial and I knew it wasn't going to work for me. I also had a horrible 2 week spinal headache so it was a disastrous experience for me. After having a fusion, I wound up feeling worse than I did pre op. My surgeon said a pain pump would be better for me since my back pain is a bit more than my leg pain. If my trial goes well this week, then I can go ahead to have it permanently implanted.

Anyway, I know this is frustrating for you since your doctor won't remove it at your request. I heard it's harder to get them to take it out than to implant it, and the doctor may decide to just have the unit turned off. Why don't you take some time to think things over for now and gather as much info as you can in order to make the best informed decision. This is just my humble opinion, that's all.

I totally relate to what you are going through as far as living with chronic pain is concerned. We hope to have the best outcome with any procedure we undergo. Well, whatever you decide to do I hope you get relief. Take care
  • I hope I can have it out. The way my body is built (my short torso) and I'm short and tiny
    makes it really hurt and is very annoying. I have even turned it on some to try it out from time to time at all sorts of different settings. Just doesn't help AT ALL!
    Go to dr on the 25th. Maybe he can listen to me now that I am a little more informed than I was before.

And the actual name,I found my book and it only says the model # and restore. Then restorePrime and something ultra,but there's a part torn off so I can't read it. So to late to call today but will call tomorrow to find out so I can let everyone know exactly what I have. I hate being called a liar.
    The pain pump? I know what it is, but exactly what meds does it give u?
    It was not even an option at the time becuz I was shooting for no more drugs.
    But please tell me more. Inform me, please.

This discussion has been closed.