Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical and Lumbar Spondylosis/Stenosis Question

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:34 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I had ACDF in April 2008 and Lumbar L4/5 Fusion in August of 2008. I went to see surgeon for year checkup. I still hve pain, weakness in right arm, bursitis at times. Basically the pain didnt go away. The Surgeon decided to send me for an MRI. My question is how acurate are the MRI for finding Spondylosis/Stenosis? Could anything cause the same symptoms? When I look at the symptoms for these conditions, they read as if I wrote them, they are accurate as far as what is going on with me.

• thats what i've come to say after all my surgeries that didnt help pain. the nerve damage before the surgery might never have been resolved. maybe surgeon missed something.
    mris are quite good at seeing soft tissue problems. they also see bones but not quite as well as ct scans. lets just wait and see what is shows. the big question is can you live with this residual pain? statistics for improvement by g0ing in again aren't great.
    hopefully they will find some problem they missed before and they will have plan to repair it...wishing you luck.....pete
  • I hope they find something, I know what i am feeling!! I havent read statistics for another surgery! I think I can live with the residual pain, do I really have a choice?
  • I also have Cervical Spinal Stenosis and I have right arm pain as well. I found out after having an EMG that arm pain can be caused by pressure on the radial nerve. However, I also have a torn rotator cuff on the supra spinatus tendon.
    I had a work related injury which was the original cause of all this.
    Rotator cuff tears can happen, so perhaps request that they do an arthrogram on your shoulder to rule it out. Also ask for a Neurologist to run and EMG so that they can better isolate where the pain is coming from.
    MRI's are great and all but, with the arthrogram it is so much more obvious if there is a tear or not because the joint will leak when the dye is injected.
    When they did this with me, the dye squirted out inside the area surrounding the shoulder joint.
    I have had one cervical fusion, 2 right shoulder arthroscopic surgeries, and left and right carpal tunnel surgeries.
    I currently have migraines which are hard to control.
    :) :)